cwsuppershredder broke notepad.exe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 oneeyeelf1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

well when cwshredder was running and did that check to tell you to close all instances of notepad, I closed 3 of the 4, I missed one. Well ever since then I CAN'T double click on a .txt when it is associated with notepad, I CAN double click a .txt if it is associated with wordpad, and I CAN double click an .ini if its associated with notepad.

Edited by oneeyeelf1, 20 July 2004 - 11:50 AM.

#2 hue_j

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:11 AM

Dude, I had the same , or similar problem.......im not sure if CWS shredder did it or what....coulda been a virus or someone ya know always trying to get in the computer.

so to fix the ".txt" files cant be opend w/ NOTEPAD its b/c the notepad.exe file is f*cked. U have to go into C:/WINDOWS and then press "N" twice and it will jump u down the entire folder to Notpad. From there u have to rewrite notepad as any name and then open that up and then goto FILE, OPEN and then scroll for your text files. IF U HAVE WIN XP then u can put the Notepad.exe as a Program on the Start menu or on the "BUTTONS" menu on your taskbar. IT should work from here.

#3 oneeyeelf1

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:03 AM

Well I kinda BORROWED from your suggestion, it is the fact that notepad.exe is just getting blocked, I copied notepad.exe and renamed it noteman.exe. I then reassociated text files with noteman.exe and guess what IT WORKS, its just that now theres a different icon for my text files, anyone know how to fix that?

#4 TonyKlein

Forum Deity

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 08:05 AM

If thisis WinXP, delete your Noteman.exe.

Find the Notepad.exe file in your C:\Windows folder, and copy (NOT move) it to the C:\Windows\System32 folder. Allow it to overwrite the one in there (if there still is one).
That should fix that.

Reason: The copy in System32 has been replaced/corrupted , probably by a CWS parasite variant, but the one in Windows is protected by Windows File Protection, and is therefore usually intact.

BTW, you need to re-associate txt files with Notepoad.exe, of course....

Edited by TonyKlein, 22 July 2004 - 08:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button