about blank

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SgtTerry

SgtTerry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

I have been hijacked by about blank. I tried the procedure postedby BobO and did not find any files at all under System Hooks. Help Please. I use Win98
Terry ranger@camillaga.net

#2 BobO

BobO

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:57 AM

Sgt Terry,

I noticed that while you use Windows 98, you had not found any files under System Hooks.

I would suggest you try rebooting in Command Line Safe Mode, navigate to your C:\windows\system folder in DOS (type cd \windows\system at the prompt), and then type dir *.dll | more (the | character is the "pipe" character, above the backslash key on the right). You will get page after page of .dll files which are in your system folder, displayed one page at a time. Make a note of those .dll files that are 57,344 bytes in size (there will be a number of them -- and some of them are supposed to be there!). But if any of them are dated within the last two months, and have a nonsense name, rename them with a different extension (DO NOT DELETE THEM) and then scan them with Adaware in Windows Safe Mode. I think that's how you'll find your culprit.

Important ==> do not delete files yourself. Rename them instead, and then scan them with Adaware. If they are not spyware, you can rename them back and no harm is done.

Good luck!

#3 drunken_snowman

drunken_snowman

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:03 PM

PGPhantom - Deleted incorrect advice.

#4 mmxx66

mmxx66

The SWI drummer

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip