Explorer caused an invalid page fault

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sue W

Sue W

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:56 PM

I read the FAQ's but got "this page couldn't be displayed" when I tried to access http://www.spywarein...jacked/#removal. Hopefully I've tried everything you suggest there. My operating system Windows 98. I get a message "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Mqlocusr.dll at 017f:10017d44" that appears when the desktop appears on startup.

If I close the error window the computer starts a shutdown and locks up. I'm able to do anything I want on the computer as long as I don't close the error window. However, I have to move the error window around to see what's under it as it is always on top. Also I'm getting lots of offers popping up to download software for things like Fun Web Products Inc. and Whistle Software Inc. when I'm not even in Internet Explorer. If I close those windows another one pops up saying "are you sure you don't want to download this software?" And these come in batches of 2 or 3 offers.

I've updated and run Spybot, Ad Aware and CW Shredder. Also Hijack this and VX2finder9x.exe. After Ad Aware ran and deleted files, it stated there were two files it couldn't delete until a reboot, c:\windows\system\mqlocusr.dll and c:\windows\system\sxcur32.dll . I rebooted and ran Ad Aware again. New files were found and deleted except for two files that had to be deleted during a reboot, c:\windows\system\mqlocusr.dll (same as last time) and c:\windows\system\mwlocusr.dll (a different file from the last time).

While in Windows, I can't manually delete these files because they are in use by the system. So I tried going through DOS to delete them, but with the path I typed, I got a "file not found" message - my DOS is a little rusty and this may be why.

I typed "del c:\windows\system\mqlocusr.dll" at the c prompt. Is this correct?

I also went into regedit and deleted any references to mqlocusr, deleted my temp internet files and cookies, emptied the Recycle Bin, removed all programs from Add/Remove Programs that I hadn't installed and went into file manager and removed the Kazaa folder and a few other things that weren't in Add/Remove Programs that I knew were spyware/adware.

Am I typing the correct path in DOS and do you think this will fix my problem? Or will this even fix my problem? I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.

#2 Sue W

Sue W

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:10 AM

The problem is solved. The error window stopped showing up. I can only assume the Ad Aware either deleted it on start up after a few tries or the Norton Antivirus updated definitions finally addressed the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button