• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

UPDATE on Upgrade   02/07/2017

We were somewhat delayed on getting the upgrade done, but it looks like it will now be done in the next few days or possibly even later today.   There is one change coming with the new upgrade that may affect people when they log in. There will no longer be separate Usernames and Display Names. Your Display Name will now be the only name you have for the forum and, if you used your Username to log in, you will now need to use your Display Name. It is likely that everyone who visits after the upgrade will need to log in again, so please keep this in mind.   Update again - Feb 7 - We have completed the main part of the upgrade and we are working to tweak settings for the site.  It will probably take us a while, but we will eventually settle down to the way we want it.  In the meanwhile, your posts should be secure, but the look of the forum and some functions may change over time.
    • cnm

We backup daily at 9:00 PM Pacific Time   02/13/2017

You may notice the forum being unresponsive for a few minutes around 9:00 PM PST (11:00 PM CST, 5:00 AM GMT) while we back up the database.
    • cnm

Notifications blocked by Outlook.com, Hotmail, Live, etc   02/14/2017

Our notifications are blocked by those mail servers. If you have email address at Hotmail, Hotmail.uk, etc etc then you will not get notifications and need to manually check for new replies. We recommend Gmail.   The notifications won't even be in your Spam folder - they just go down a black hole.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Joey1

Suggestion

17 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm one of the newer members. I'm asking u on how to further secure my computer. I have Symantec Antivirus, Spyware S&D, and CWShredder. I was asking to see if you have any suggestions to help secure my computer. Thanks!

SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Both are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.

Also see So how did I get infected in the first place?

I've tried spyware blaster, and it works just fine. I'll try IE-SPYAD. Thanks! And please post more suggestions(u might notice that I don't have a firewall)

Oh yeah, forgot to say that.

See my signature for 2 good firewalls (Kerio and Sygate)

You'll need it! :deal:

Oh I will edit my sig if it's really better. I've only heard about it, and haven't use it myself. >> Done :deal:

Edited by H@ns

Oh I will edit my sig if it's really better. I've only heard about it, and haven't use it myself. >> Done :deal:

Speaking of editing your sig, the windows update link in your sig is broken.

Many thanks! There's something wrong in the UBBCode i see.

Thanks again! << Edited :deal:

Edited by H@ns

Ok, now i have Sygate firewall, Symantec antivirus, CWShredder, HJT, and Spybot S&D. What other security programs do you recommend?

SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Both are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.

Also see

So how did I get infected in the first place?

And the best popup stopper I've used is the Google toolbar 2. http://toolbar.google.com/

I already have both, and I am using Firefox at the moment, so no popups. I have yahoo toolbar with popup blocking, and it works pretty well unless there are multiple popups on a single page.

Do u recommend using another AV?

Edited by anti-spyware freak

I use Kerio 4 as a firewall. I never found a reason as to why 2.15 would be better. 4 does the job just as good. Most people think that 2.15 has more configurability than 4 but in my experience that's not the case. I can finetune any rule I make. But as cnm said, many people prefer 2 to 4.

If you want to make your surfing more secure, stay away from IE and use another browser like Mozilla or Opera. I use Opera and apart from a few sites I never had any trouble with Opera. Oh, and by the way just as IE, don't use Outlook (Express) for mail. Same thing. Alternative: many, I use Pegasus.

Success.

OK, security programs. Anti-vir personal, Sygate personal firewall, Symantec AV Corporate edition, CWShredder, HJT, Spyware Blaster, IESpyad. any more?

*edit: I just got spyware guard. The server was too busy earlier, so I got a mirror of SB. However, SG does not have a mirror, so I had to wait 'til now

Edited by anti-spyware freak