Dialers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1st_evil

1st_evil

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:23 PM

Can a dialer only affect you on dial up? or is it bad to have with high speed internet to?

#2 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

If you use a dial-up modem or ISDN, you will pay much (dialers costs mostly 80 cent per minute)

ADSL or Cable doesn't let you pay so much, but will hurt your system, so it's recommend to get lost of this junk

PGPhantom: Edited for family viewing ...
Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

#3 silence351

silence351

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:37 PM

Well,I have high speed (adsl) and a few months ago I had a trojan that downloaded a whole bunch of dialers.I didn't get charged from my phone company,but I believe the dialers really affected my cpu's performance.Don't really know if it was the diallers or the trojan. :techsupport:
But yes,I believe highspeed is immune to most diallers,as far as being charged from the phone company.

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:04 AM

ADSL and cable do not have a "dial" function in them. They connect via PPPoE or DHCP to a home network, and as such, do not require modems. They are immune to dialers _IF AND ONLY IF_ Ethernet is the only means on network connectivity on the PC. If there is a modem, and it is hooked up, it can be used by dialers.

If you're in Telus territory, I wouldn't worry; they catch these things automatically now.

Dialers _will_ affect idle CPU cycles and allocate them to themselves. They, therefore, should be removed and terminated as soon as possible. Ad-Aware does a fine job of that, generally speaking.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button