freeware anti-trojan?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:33 AM

I want to know if there are any freeware anti-trojan programs. I've heard of A squared free, and I probably have enough protection between my AV, aaw, and Spybot. Just asking. :cool:

#2 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

A-Squared2 (by Emisoft) is certainly a worthwhile addition. There is a free version (on-demand scanner only; no resources usage when unused), it is updated quite regularly.

They also offer a 30 days trial of the full version, which add a realtime scanner plus some kind of startup monitor, but I would not recommend buying this, as there are more established players around.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#3 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:25 AM

Ewido
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:52 PM

I would use both Ewido and A2.

#5 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

Both are free. so why not? Kind of like the ad-aware/spybot combo really.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#6 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

A squared free is really quite good. It scans for about 20,000 trojans, plus worms, dialers, and a some spyware. The only difficulty is that where there should be a finish button, there is a quit button. My system was clean, probably because i had been using Spybot for a long time.

#7 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2004 - 05:39 PM

Ewido is quite good. Both scanners are memory and time consuming, though.

#8 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:13 PM

Since this is not Malware Removal, BUMP!!!!! :rofl:

#9 cwalker

cwalker

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 11:47 AM

I think the A2 is a good program. I have used it a number of times when other scans have failed and it has found the problem. And the price is right :D

#10 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:29 PM

:thumbsup:

#11 Buggedbybugs

Buggedbybugs

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:13 AM

Hello all, new here.
Im at the end of my tether about a virus that we've been infected with and this is an attempt to avoid paying out to a technician! Has anyone the link to where I can get A2 from? Thanks.

#12 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

A Squared (A2) http://www.emsisoft....n/software/free

Ewido http://www.ewido.net/en

#13 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 06:06 AM

Is it true that Ewido Guard slows down the computer?I use a pathetic 128mb RAM which is really annoying me.Which one should I take?Ewido or A2?I'll like to know which one is more effective.

#14 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 09:07 AM

A2 free does not run resident. Ewido automatically downloads the 14-day fully functional full version which has a guard. After 14-days, the plus features are disabled.

#15 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:23 AM

So?No difference?I don't really like the idea of getting both but if that's the only solution...then I'll take it.

Thanks.

#16 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:17 PM

there is a difference though. Ewido has about 45,000 signatures, while A2 free has about 28,000. You can disable Ewido's realtime protection from the scanning screen.

#17 amidweb

amidweb

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:34 PM

McAfee stinger is easy to download, does trojans as well.
http://us.mcafee.com...val/Stinger.asp

#18 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:32 AM

I like A2 :thumbsup:

#19 fornickels

fornickels

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:10 PM

not to be a downer especially since i know very little about computers but i have both ewido and a squared on mine and still getting trojans......this may be because they haven't been fully removed but i dont see why these programs cannot remove them.

#20 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:09 PM

No two programs can remove every trojan. Try an online trojan scan.http://www.windowsec...com/trojanscan/

Also, these are freeware programs. See this thread for other anti-trojan programs.

#21 fornickels

fornickels

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

well i have more than just those two programs on there. And i've run a ton of trojanscanners....all say yes you got em, but don't fix or remove them

someone is looking at my logs on this forum to try and help the problem.
I'm more concerned about if i fix the problem, then are they just gonna keep coming back???

i dont mind spending money on a program to stop this if they do indeed stop them.

and i stupidly bought norton and it does just about nothing......

i'm just weary of spending money on another program and still getting attacked...

#22 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:28 PM

HJT should be able to fix most problems.

#23 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

well i have more than just those two programs on there. And i've run a ton of trojanscanners....all say yes you got em, but don't fix or remove them

someone is looking at my logs on this forum to try and help the problem.
I'm more concerned about if i fix the problem, then are they just gonna keep coming back???

i dont mind spending money on a program to stop this if they do indeed stop them.

and i stupidly bought norton and it does just about nothing......

i'm just weary of spending money on another program and still getting attacked...

Yours is a interesting case. Based on your HJT log you are running a shitload of defensive stuff (many of which I feel is not so good), not including the various online scanners you have tried.

Seems to me that your system was pretty badly hit, before you tried to download and run all these stuff. It's too late.

My advise is to clean up your system first.

I'm no malware expert but looking at your logs, it seems that some of your problems stem from the lack of patching of your java and operating system, so you might want to concentrate on that. Patch your system to the full.

Also your browser seems to be pretty compromised, so I would recommend you use at least the following on top of tightening up your browser settings

IEspyad
Spywareblaster
Spybot + tea timer
Ad-aware
Spywareguard.

You also have a very NASTY trojan.

#24 fornickels

fornickels

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:14 PM

hmmm okay sounds like a good plan
but how do i patch my java and system.... sorry i just dont know that much about computers. I have downloaded all the windows updates and sp1. Not sure what else is supposed to be done to "patch" my system.

i agree i probably downloaded too many things to try and fix this. would love to get rid of some of these things but not sure which ones to uninstall.......

and yes trojan is terrible and causing me way too much stress

just hoping that the guy who is looking at my log can help me fix it.

i guess my last resort is to clear my entire computer and reinstall my OS...which i've done twice now.....but if i do that again, then how WHAT should i install to stop this from happening? i've heard so many conflicting things and am just so frustrated by all this.......

#25 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 07:33 AM

hmmm okay sounds like a good plan
but how do i patch my java and system.... sorry i just dont know that much about computers.  I have downloaded all the windows updates and sp1.  Not sure what else is supposed to be done to "patch" my system.

That is a start. I would switch to using SUN Java instead of MS java if you haven't. For you I also highly recommend XP SP 2. Or better yet another browser like Firefox or Opera

i agree i probably downloaded too many things to try and fix this.  would love to get rid of some of these things but not sure which ones to uninstall.......

And if I read your problem right, these downloaded things are now part of the problem. with you running ewido,norton,avast AND AA2 resident, no wonder, you complain about multiple popups from antivirus. And they are interfering with each other and your own manual ability to clean up.

and yes trojan is terrible and causing me way too much stress

just hoping that the guy who is looking at my log can help me fix it.

It looks clear now. But the little research I have down shows that google toolbar might be part of the problem and you might uninstall it first to be safe.

i've heard so many conflicting things and am just so frustrated by all this.......

Conflicting on what? If I were you, I would clear up my system has much as possible . Remove the yahoo toolbar, googletoolbar, all the antiviruses, A2 etc. Not to say that these are bad, but they complicate the situation .

Then concentrate on cleaning out the malware. After that than start adding stuff..
as I recommened in my earlier post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button