• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kikaida

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

Hello all,

Happy Friday!!!

Here's the deal, Norton keeps flagging a virus calling it backdoor.trojan but can't delete it. Keeps getting "access denied".

Nortons websites solution was a bust.

I found on this site a solution except the instructions do not apply to XP home.

In my registry I am finding at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs a file called D3dpokk.dll
with a path of C:\Windows\System32

It is that file that Norton does'nt like.

When I go to System32, I can't find it (I have show hidden on).

When I delete it from the registry it just comes back.

Part of the instructions that I found on this site was to rename the windows folder before deleting that file from the registry how ever renaming that folder is not an option in XP home.

Also I can't seem to find a "Local Security Policy" in the adminstrative tools as described.

Could some one lead me down the path of righteousness so I can kick this things a$$. :lol:

#2 kikaida

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:42 PM

Stand by, think I got it.

#3 melissawu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:38 PM

The same thing is happening to me But I don't know alot about computers So, if you could help me out that would be great!!!!! Thanks melissawu

#4 kikaida

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:41 PM

What I did was

Start>Run> type regedit

In the registry, go to edit>find and type in the name off the dll that is getting flagged. It should lead you to the following location if your problem is the same as mine.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs

At this point, you see the folder that AppInit_DLLs is in? The Windows folder (the one there in the registry). You need to rename that one to say Windows2.

After you rename it, go back and highlight and delete the line that points to the dll (C:\Windows\System32\*bad*.dll).

THEN, rename the windows2 folder BACK to windows.

Now restart into safe mode (tap f8 like once a second until the safe mode screen comes up, choose safe mode. If it says keyboard error, delay your tapping for a second or two, if you see the splash screen you missed it)

Once in safe mode, go to C:\Windows\System32. You should now be able to find the offending .dll.

Rename it to *bad*.old, then delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now restart normally and scan the registry again for any more references to the .dll if you find any delete it BUT be warned that in my instance it attached to the search assistant breaking my search feature which was easily fixed. If you find it some where else in the registry, write down the the entire path to it so if you run into trouble we may be able to trace and fix it.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button