• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 netquik

netquik

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

Hi guys

Is there a way to make HijackThis or Cwsshredder "read" another system disk?

in order to integrate them in Bart's PE?

#2 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:22 PM

Hijackthis and CWShredder require access to the registry. If you run these utilities from within Win PE, you will not be accessing the target Windows installation’s registry. You would be accessing the Win PE registry.

I believe that this is being discussed at the 911cd forums in regard to adaware and spybot accessing a loaded registry from a target installation. I believe the approach is being tested with the load hive plugin.

Edited by Trilobite, 23 July 2004 - 05:25 PM.

#3 netquik

netquik

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:19 PM

I read a lot on 911cd

but i understood this

that ad-aware (so any other AV plugin) can't deal with registry run from bart pe...

is it right?

so i assume is useless for removing spyeware from registry... OUT from the system itself...

#4 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:51 PM

I read the 911cd forums alot too. My username on the 911cd forums is 'sam_i_am'

Unless the AV program can load the registry hive files from a target directory, then no, it cannot deal with a registry other than Win PE's registry. There are several users at the 911cd forums that have been working on a way to load and scan a remote registry hive, but I am unsure as to weather it works correctly.

There is a number of AV software that will work under Win PE: McAfee commandline scanner, F-Prot, Stinger and perhaps Symantec's prescan...but again, these will not load a remote registry hive.

Avast! antivirus has their own Win PE version that includes a modified version of Avast!'s antivirus. I do not know if it loads the remote hives or not.

Personally, I would not trust any spyware or AV scanner that needs to use third party programs or hacks to scan a remote registry.

McAfee has a standalone bootable AV scanner that is supposed to be able to load remote registry hives, but it is still in beta and I do not believe that it runs under Win PE.

#5 netquik

netquik

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

hi trilobyte and thanks for reply

I knew about avst Bart CD.. is it what you talking about?
but i know it is not free (am i wrong?)

i made up a plugin for avast virus cleaner free...
what are your suggestions?

i own an italian site about tweaking and i would like to publish some suggestions to make a bart's Pe for virus cleaning...

the registry fact is bad news... so i think i will stuck with virus remover like stinger (i get autoupdate plugin) and avast virus cleaner (also autoupdate)

bye

#6 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:49 AM

Yes, I am talking about Avast Bart CD and yes it is payware. They do have a free trial/ beta test of it on their website.

Stinger is only for 40 or so viruses and Trojans. There is a plugin for McAfee’s command line scanner and Bart has made a GUI for it. However, a lot of people, including myself, have had trouble with Stinger and McAfee cleaning infected files from PE. I think this is because Stinger and McAfee are hard-coded to write a temp file somewhere in the system directory while they are cleaning a file. Since the system directory is read-only in Win PE, you get an error. This can be solved by unselecting the clean option and checking the delete option.

Sherpya has made a plugin for Clamav Antivirus Scanner with a Windows GUI. I have not used it much as I have found it to be a memory hog, I don’t know if it scans a remote registry hive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button