Reboot in safe mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 igg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

am trying to remove spyware from my PC. Several posts on this site have suggested a procedure that includes rebooting and pressing the f8 function key to start up in safe mode. I have an HP PC with Windows XP home edition. I have tried several times to reboot into safe mode with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions for this neophyte?
Thanks in advance

#2 cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

You need to hit the F8 key several times while booting, until you get a menu.

Alternatively, Start->Run, enter msconfig
Then select Diagnostic Startup and reboot.

Attached Images

• a_cnm4.jpg

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here

#3 lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:12 PM

Start hitting the f8 key right after you see the Blue HP Screen when you start your computer....the easiest way is to just turn on computer & just start tapping f8 untill you get the Black Screen with 3 options...choose Safe Mode.

#4 Bolt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:55 PM

Well, I had to do the same on my Windows ME to get rid of some adware. I just held down the F8 key for a second or two after the blue screen disappeared, then it brought me to a DOS look-alike window where you pick how you want to restart. Just use the arrow keys to scroll up and down and choose what mode to restart in (Safe Mode, of course).

#5 pulsing_zombie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:56 PM

1.click on the Start button. The start menu will appear.
2.Select "SHUT DOWN" from the menu. Turn off in XP Home Edition
3.Select Shut Down or Turn Off in XP and click the yes or OK button
4. If your computer does not turn off automatically, wait until the "it is now safe to turn off computer appears, then turn off manually.
5.Turn the computer back on.
6. Begin immediately pressing the F8 key, about once a second, until the Windows Startup Menu appears.
7. Press 3 and then Enter to start the computer in Safe Mode
8. Once Windows starts, an information message will appear explaining Safe Mode. Click the OK button to clear this message.
If you have any difficulty getting the Windows Startup menu to appear at Step 6, try the following to get into Safe Mode.
Try holding down the left shift key instead of pressing the F8 key while boooting it.
Begin immediately pressing the F5 key, about once a second, until the message "Windows is bypassing your startup files" appears.
I do hope this helps: especially beginners that need all our assistance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button