Modem Dialer Launched by LIZAAY.EXE?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ByteMan

ByteMan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

Thanks to this site, I was able to clean my hijacked system (SpySweeper, ADAWARE and SpyBot cleaned alot but HJT and this site were necessary to regain control of IE). However, one suspicious application remains. I can find nothing about it with any search engine but, at startup, my modem dialer dialogue box pops up, prompting me to connect. I cancel this but wonder what happnes when I eventually connect to the Internet. When I use the Task Manager to trace the process associated, I see LIZAAY.EXE. HJT showed this on its very first execution and it still remains even now that all other malware seems to be removed.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gboxby] C:\WINDOWS\System32\lizaay.exe

The executable seems to only be found in the directory above but there are several references to it in the Registry.
I am reluctant to purge my system of it until I know for sure that it isn't something that my system needs. But, I can't find anything about this program anywhere. Can anyone help?

#2 ByteMan

ByteMan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

No one has responded to this yet. Should I post this to another forum better matched with this subject matter?

#3 ByteMan

ByteMan

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

Surprisingly, based on the lack of response, no one on this forum has bumped into this malware yet. The good news is that the latest detection rule download from Spybot identified LIZAAY.EXE and offered an option to remove it! Even though the scan did not offer any background on this attack I am pleased that it was at least identified as being "bad" and safe to remove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button