Efficient applications for slow systems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyDangerous

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:21 PM

I have a system running 225Mhz 32Mb Win98se. It does everything I need it to so I've never bothered upgrading. I've got some nice programs that run at this speed (AVG, ZoomPlayer, ACDSee, QUAKE2!) but others are really clunky. I would like to find replacements that use minimal system resources for IExplorer6 and ZoneAlarm Free Edition. Are there other internet browsers that support the google toolbar or the fileplanet.com download plugin as well? Any other (free) software anyone wants to recommend that would suit this system?

Edited by JonnyDangerous, 24 July 2004 - 06:22 PM.

#2 Acsell

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

k-meleon is a fast browser on a slow system. It is a very simple browser but because of that it is very fast.

It's got toolbar built in that will search google.
ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals - Proud Member Since 2004
HJTHotkey - HijackThis Tutorial (Unofficial) - GetFiles
Autohotkey - Automation. Hotkeys and Scripting - Mozilla Firefox

#3 Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

I must agree. K-melon is your only choice really.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#4 JonnyDangerous

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

K-Meleon works well, it takes longer to open than IE but the layered windows make switching between multiple windows much easier. However it can't open certain Java pages without downloading the runtime environment which takes up so much processing power as to be completely useless. So I'm running both the browsers for different things. Some other low resource programs that may of use to others:
Kerio firewall- fantastic.
RealOne Player is the earliest version I've found that supports BBC radio but it takes a bit of work to disable the autoupdate features. It does have a number of performance options that can speed it up a bit too.
AVG free edition- never used anything else, but never had any major problems.
Outlook Express- I'm not sure about certain security patches still being functional but OE5 is much better suited to a system of this level than OE6
ACDSee- I use v3.0 and its perfect for browsing photos.

Should this be of interest to anyone I suggest they visit
Although bear in mind that many applications that require internet connectivity will not allow you to use outdated versions ( e.g MSN messenger)

Edited by JonnyDangerous, 31 July 2004 - 02:40 PM.

#5 dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 04:05 PM

If you can, another way of speeding up your computer would be to increase the RAM. 32Meg is realistically the minimum for running Win98, and 128 or 256 would greatly help. Don't go above 512 meg, or windows gets all confused!
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button