IE 6 History

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zwielight

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:43 PM

I purchased my laptop in February, and Internet Explorer came with it. Since then, the "History" folder has never once functioned correctly:

Listed under the day is the folder 'My Computer'; the contents therein are files from websites or from my hard drive that I had accessed that day, only the icons shown are all the unknown file icon (when Windows asks with which program they should be opened). Then, upon clicking a file, it says 'Windows cannot file [file name]...' and then information on how to search for a file.

Anybody know how to make the History folder function as it was intended? Hope my description was somewhat helpful! Thanks (:

#2 zwielight

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:33 PM

No ideas?

#3 JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:46 PM

No ideas?

I have ideas, I just don't know if any of them will help. :p

If I read that right, the internet shortcuts are inside the my computer folder, in todays history. Each site visited should have it's own folder outside of the my computer folder.

It could be the history folder itself is corrupted.
Sign on as another user, set up a new user with admin. rights if needed, and delete the history folder in your profile.
In xp it's at C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\History. A new history folder will be created.

edit: two methods for IE repair

Repair install IE (method 2)

Edited by JG427, 26 July 2004 - 10:20 PM.

Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button