• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SoonerBorn

SoonerBorn

Evolving Amoeba Lifeform

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 09:06 AM

After I installed it I updated it and adjusted some settings then performed a whole scan

It found 2 Trojans after being 32% complete.

One was Dyfuca
one it called a Trojanclicker

I have noticed a couple of things during the scan.

1 It slows way down and takes a long look at compressed files

2. It went prompted me to enter passwords for protected files it was attempting to scan

I looked closely at the 2 files it found and both have been on here since I have performed a Panda, Housecall, Symantec and several others including some trojan hunters

It has a simple and direct interface. No problems installing. The only draw back I see so far is that it takes a year to perform a whole scan. But that may not be a bad thing.

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with it and any problems they encountered as I am seriously thinking of buying it. That is one more drawback its 50 bucks a year :(
Great movies to support our troops. Grouchy Media

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before windows failure. -Sun Tzu

#2 larrysabo

larrysabo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

They used to sell Kaspersky Lite for $20 USD and I tried it for a year. Great product! At the end of the year, they give you a 30% discount off whatever of their products you would like to buy. I went with Kaspersky Personal, which has just been upgraded to verion 5.0.121--very nice program. You can't beat Kaspersky for best combination virus-trojan scanner, according to all the tests I've read. Yes, a full scan is *very* slow, but once done, you seldom feel a need to do it again soon, because of the superior detection and frequent updates (2-3 times per day).

I did have a problem when I installed both the Lite and Personal versions. Tech support was *very* slow coming from Kaspersky, but we eventually got things fixed.

You might contact Kaspersky and see f you can still buy the Lite version; their Canadian partner still sells it, CAD $39.95+6.95 S/H if you don't download it. I assume they have a link from which to download it; something no longer on the Kaspersky web pages.

I highly recommend the product.

Larry

#3 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:25 PM

I tried Kaspersky personal at the end of last year, but due to several problems with my, PC AND NOT KASPERSKY, I bought a new computer and purchased Norton Internet Security 2004. In the time I had Kaspersky I found it very easy to use, it does have a simple and direct interface, much better than some I have looked at. It is one that I may go back to in the future, certainly worth considering, mine cost either between 25 and 28 £ sterling I cannot remember exactly.
Member of ASAP

#4 NAMOR

NAMOR

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:48 PM

I used Kaspersky 4.5 for a long time. It was great. IMHO it is one of the best AV scanners avalible. It has an awsome unpacking engine and great trojan detection. If you have the money to spend on it, I say go for it.

#5 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:30 PM

I have previously tested the following up-to-date virus scanners with the same files: NAV, McAfee command-line (superdat), Avast, and F-Prot (dos). The results can be found here.

The results of Kaspersky online virus scan of these same files:

#6 jedi5

jedi5

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 02:59 PM

Is there a good trojan remover that everyone here pretty much agrees on that does the job most of the time?
I know we all are going to have different opinions on this but is there one remover out there that you can say would be on most people's top three list?

Rafael

#7 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:35 PM

My top three suggestions would be and in no particular order: Norton Antivirus, McAfee Antivirus, and Kaspersky Anti-Virus.

For the new and nasty Trojans, I suggest McAfee Stinger.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 03:47 PM

Is there a good trojan remover that everyone here pretty much agrees on that does the job most of the time?
I know we all are going to have different opinions on this but is there one remover out there that you can say would be on most people's top three list?

For trojans you really need a specialized antitrojan; they are very tricky to find and remove. I think most people would agree that TrojanHunter is the best. www.trojanhunter.com. Frequent updates, and a fully functional free trial is available.

Stinger is fine, but only targets a dozen or so malwares.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#9 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 04:22 PM

Ah, trojans. I misread the post and since it is in an AV thread… :whistle: :ugh:

Note to self: turn the monitor on before trying to read and reply to posts. ;D

#10 stockkbroker

stockkbroker

Advanced Member

• Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:29 AM

I have had Kaspersky for a while. It does a decent job at identifying the culprits.

However one major drawback is that the real time and manual scans take up so much resources that your computer might slow to a crwal.

A much better alternative would be FSecure. Simple interface and one of the fastest scanners yet.

Its detection is superb.

Check it out.

Edited by stockkbroker, 13 June 2004 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button