Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:16 AM
I have Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster and run them both fairly frequently. Some things continure to get by them though.
I recently had a problem with my MSN browser. I couldn't log on so I called MSN and the lady there ran me through several things, discovering in the process that 'internet options' could not be accessed through the tools menu in I.E.-trying it produced a message that said something like: 'Due to restrictions on this computer you are not allowed to access this. See your administrator.' I am the administrator. It's a home computer and I know nothing of any restrictions. I can still access internet options through the control panel though. Anyway she referred me to Dell, the manucacturer and the guy there talked me through downloading and running Spy Sweeper and it found numerous spyware and 'traces'.
The above named examples seem to get by everything though. It was discovering 3 examples of 'mail.mailabview' on my download manager though that led me to do a google search for 'suspicious files' and that led me here. So I hope I'm asking in the proper way now for some help in interpreting the 'Hijack this' log, which I've already attached to my previous post.
Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:58 AM
But please do this:
Download Ad-aware from: http://www.lavasoft.de/res/aaw6.exe
Install the program and launch it.
First, in the main window, look in the bottom right corner and click on Check for updates now and download the latest reference files.
Next, we need to configure Ad-aware for a full scan.
Click on the Gear icon (second from the left) to access the preferences/settings window
1. In the General window make sure the following are selected:
- Automatically save log-file
- Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
- Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
- Scan Within Archives
- Scan Active Processes
- Scan Registry
- Deep Scan Registry
- Scan my IE favorites for banned URL’s
- Scan my Hosts file
- Under Click here to select drives + folders, choose:
- All of your hard drives
- Include additional process information
- Include additional file information
- Include environment information
- Include additional object details
- Under the Scanning Engine:
- Unload recognized processes during scanning
- Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile
- Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile
- Under the Cleaning Engine:
- Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot
Click Start and on the next screen choose Activate in-depth Scan at the bottom of the page and then choose:
- Use Custom Scanning Options
Save the log file when it asks and then click Finish
When finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose Select All from the drop down menu and click Next).
Reboot your computer.
Then post a new log into your FIRST topic. Please don't use attachments but post your whole log into it.
Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:47 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users