Hijacked By Trojans

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:59 PM

I have found that after two months of unobstructed computer use, I am stuck with a major infection again. I found one of my computers infected with several trojans and homepage hijackers. I attempted to remove them, with some success.

My biggest cause for alarm is that something is preventing me from downloading HJT, Spybot, or CoolWebShredder (I get an error message saying Windows cannot copy from the source). Also, if I try to transfer the programs from another computer on CD-R or 3.5" floppy, the files do not appear, even though the space they are occupying shows up as used (For example, CWS and HJT show up as using about 300kb of the floppy's capacity, but Windows shows the disk as being empty). I haven't tried to transfer the files with CD-RW or 5.25" floppy, but I have no reason to believe either of these formats would work either. Also, SpywareBlaster is prevented from running, and I get an error when trying to update Windows.

These are the results from the programs I use:

AdAware - Removed 124 files.
Spybot - Cannot Download/Transfer.
HJT - Cannot Download/Transfer.
CoolWebShredder - Cannot Download/Transfer.
PestPatrol [Demo] - Found 1 Trojan, 2 CWS files, and two others. Removed manually.
Norton AV 2004 - Deleted 3 trojans.
Norton Internet Security - n/a.
Spyware Blaster - Shuts down, will not work.
Spyware Guard - No effect.
Panda Online Scan - Found nothing.
Camtech SpySites - n/a.

Some of the deleted trojans included Download.Trojan, Win32.Delf.TrojanA, Backdoor.HacDef.073b. The CoolWebSearch entries from PP included the term "aboutblank".

The computer in question is a Pentium 4 (2.0Ghz) running Windows XP pro.

Sorry, I have no HJT log to post, since I cannot access HJT. I have no idea where to go from here.

Thanks.

#2 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:03 AM

Bump.

#3 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Bump

#4 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:25 AM

Bump. Still Infected.

Here's some more information that may be usefull. This is the error number I get when trying to update Windows (XP Pro): (0x800C0008).

Ad-Aware, Panda Online Scan, and NAV still find nothing.
Spyware Guard still has no effect.
Spyware Blaster still shuts down when started.
HJT and Spybot still cannot be downloaded or transferred from another computer.
Windows still cannot be updated.

#5 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:37 PM

Bump.

Still Infected. If anyone has any info on this type of infection, or can help with the Windows Update error (which could be agood start in cleaning), or knows of a thread with a similar problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#6 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

Still infected, infection has persisted for over a month now. Doesn't anybody have any idea how to fix this. Is there any other program I could try?

#7 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 05:07 PM

The computer has gotten much worse over the last week. It now freezes regularly and often restarts on its own. HJT and Spybot still cannot be downloaded and now a DVD-ROM Drive with the designation G is under 'My Computer'. This drive does not exist, the total drives which show up are: (in case this matters)

Floppy A: - 3.5" 1.44MB
Floppy B: - [None]
Local Disk (C:)
Local Disk (D:)
CD Drive (E:)
CD Drive (F:) [Which is actually an older CD-RW, but shows up as a regular CD-ROM]
DVD Drive (G:) [This drive does not actually exist, there would not be a connector available anyway.]

Ad-aware and Norton Anti-Virus continue to find nothing. Trojan Hunter found over ten files and deleted them, but now finds nothing. Panda Online Scan also finds nothing. I don't know what's going on - I've never seen, heard about, or read about any trojan that performs any of these actions. The computer has already been reformated two months ago, and I would greatly prefer another option.

PS - This particular computer is used primarily by my brother, and he downloads a lot of programs from the Internet, despite my repeated warnings of trojans and spyware. This is probably where the malicious software came from. Except for that, I cannot come up with anything else - I can't even install HJT to get a log.

If anyone can help (even though it's probably my brother's own fault), I would appreciate it, but there's not much info to go on here. I personally don't need to use my brother's computer for anything (I have three of my own), but I would like to get help for him as the computer is starting to become unusable (slow, restarts, etc...). Thanks.

#8 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:08 PM

Worse again. Now he can't open any programs or other applications (only pictures will work). The error message is "Only part of a reprocessmemory or rightprocessmemory request was completed."
Please, anybody reading this, help in any way you can - even if you can only solve part of the problem. I need help soon - I don't mean to sound impatient, but it has been three months..."

#9 Chevyfan1

Chevyfan1

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:52 PM

Since no one was able to help, I reformated the computer. I never did find out what was wrong with it. Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button