Macromedia should be ashamed.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hojo

Hojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:30 AM

When I installed an update for Macromedia Shockwave player, SpywareGuard went nuts with new spyware and homepage changes. Just a heads up.

#2 Hojo

Hojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:46 AM

And just now I scanned with Ad-Aware and it found 2 files in the Macromedia folder. :/

#3 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:51 AM

Spamming a companies name is not a good idea. If it did indeed change anything, please provide exact details - Where did you get the update from, what changes were being done etc. Details help to narrow down the root of the problem and avoid generalizations.

#4 Hojo

Hojo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:08 AM

I forget which site I was viewing, but it said I need to update my Shockwave player. I agreed, and it led me straight to the Macromedia site. It was a basic update from an older version of Shockwave to a newer one. I didn't mean to badmouth Macromedia entirely, just the way spyware made it's way onto my computer when running the update for Shockwave.

Edited by Hojo, 26 July 2004 - 09:10 AM.

#5 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:42 AM

Links from other sites can contain spyware etc which is why the rest of the information is imperative to know. That will help ascertain where the infection came from.

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button