Best free a-v

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Which freeware AV is the best? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which freeware AV is the best?

1. Avast! (6 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. AVG (13 votes [59.09%])

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

3. Anti-vir personal (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. Other(please explain) (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:49 PM

Which freeware AV would you recommend? :unsure:

#2 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:42 PM

Oh stupid me.. voted to fast. I thought you mean which AV, but you said FREE...

I think Avast will be the best of the free AV
Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

#3 crazyazn

crazyazn

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:55 AM

I would vote AVG as I have been using it for 6 years without any problem.
Until now!!,Having a problem getting rid of Startpage.4 (AVG locates it but can't clean it)

#4 NAMOR

NAMOR

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:57 PM

I think Avast will be the best of the free AV

I have to agree.. Avast home has alot of nice freatures for a free AV, plus they have a great support forum.

#5 KinG

KinG

Hmm...It's always raining...

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Avast!, but be warned...there are consequences from Avast! as it will change some window files.

#6 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

I agree, Avast!. :D

#7 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:35 PM

Avast!, but be warned...there are consequences from Avast! as it will change some window files.

Details please.

#8 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:31 AM

Bump? :(

#9 KinG

KinG

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:03 AM

Details please.

It has changed something on my computer so that 32-bit subsystems do not work. I tried installing AVG and it had failed because of an error during process of a 32-bit subsystem. Sorry for getting back to you so late.

#10 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:01 PM

@KinG
Thanks!
I have a few more questions though. I would like to attempt to recreate the problem you have described (on a test machine of course).
Which version of Windows and Avast?
Did you notice the problem immediately after installation or after running scans/cleaning infected files?
If it was after cleaning or deleting an infected file, what is/was the file name(s) and location(s)?

@anti-spyware freak
The best detection I have seen with a free AV is with McAfee’s command-line scanner. However it lacks real-time (on-access) scanning, which is a huge drawback, therefore you might be better off with a different free AV as your primary protection.

Edited by Trilobite, 02 August 2004 - 12:06 PM.

#11 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:55 PM

@anti-spyware freak
The best detection I have seen with a free AV is with McAfee’s command-line scanner. However it lacks real-time (on-access) scanning, which is a huge drawback, therefore you might be better off with a different free AV as your primary protection.

AVG, AVPE, or Avast?

And where can I get the Mcafee command-line scanner?

#12 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 04:07 PM

I really don't have a preference between AVG, AVPE or Avast.

You can download McAfee's command line scanner from
here. It is listed under free product evaluations. It is also included in their superdat file.

#13 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:36 PM

Dells come with a 90-day trial of Mcafee, I've heard lots of nice stuff about Kapersky.........

I found the "On-Access" feature of ALL the different versions less reliable than the "On-Demand" scan, with McAfee being the best of the lot at intercepting stuff "on the fly."

I'll just wait for your antivirus testing to get to 3000~ files, because right now, it shows using Mcafee+Kapersky catching everything. :lol:

#14 [dp]

[dp]

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:19 PM

AVG and Avast are usually the top 2 with many recommending each one. I personally use and like AVG. I've been using it for as long as I can remember and considering my {safe} :D surfing habits, it has served me well and I recommend it to friends and family. The important thing is that you use an AV program, whether free or paid.

#15 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:13 PM

My opinions:
Avast: Good at catching stuff the others miss; lots of bells and whistles.
AVG: User-friendly, but database with almost no trojans, etc.
AVPE: Very good database, sometimes updated 2 times a day, but not very good interface.

All are free(DUH!), and updated often. AVPE in open-source, AVG and Avast! require registration. Registrating for AVG is easier than Avast! because AVG only needs your name and e-mail address. Also, most people here recommend AVG. I'll edit this when I can do more reviewing
on my new comp. I'll get next year.

#16 KinG

KinG

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

If you can cough up money, KAV and NOD32 are vital. When I had reformatted my Win XP Home, I went online and the first thing I did was to update KAV. Guess what? During maybe a alotted time of 20-35 mins. I had recieved more than one virus. I had kept the computer online to update windows that night. In the morning, KAV started popping up found virus messages. I had recieved Sasser in a gif format, Rhbot, and S-something-bot. KAV was right and I had infections. I believe that is great. What's even better is hopefully I can get an infection (most people don't say this) and use the NOD32 clean action to see if it works even better.

#17 KinG

KinG

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:01 PM

Also, the Avast! scanning system is extremely slow, but I still like it over Anti-vir and AVG

#18 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:47 PM

I should get KAV sometime soon(When I can convince my dad that Symantec isn't the best :p . Do you know any links that support that?) Also see Trilobyte's thread about AV testing( Kapersky and Mcafee are the best.)

#19 KinG

KinG

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:35 PM

I just found out that you are better off, either maually removing a virus and its files (unless it's so bad you can't) and/or use a specific virus cleaner, e.g. McAfee AVERT Stinger.

#20 SpiffyXD

SpiffyXD

RAWR.

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

I'm comfortable using AVG for now. I would like to try Avast! but since my PC clock doesn't work properly anymore Avast! does not seem to work properly.

#21 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

What's wrong with AVPE?

#22 Cesky.A

Cesky.A

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 03:28 AM

I agree.avast! has many features but missed a few viruses AntiVir can find and the same for AntiVir,which missed two trojans avast! found.For AVG,it only manage to detect the most critical viruses,not the less harmful ones,from what I have observed.But still,in my opinion,avast! is the best,with AntiVir as a backup.Please note that you must be disable the AntiVir Guard as avast! will not work with it running.

And thanks for identifying my mistake.My english is at borderline and so is my chinese.Only good at maths and science.

Edited by Cesky.A, 14 August 2004 - 10:42 PM.

#23 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:37 PM

you must be enable the AntiVir Guard as avast! will not work with it running.

You mean disable? I replied to your thread already. ( In case you haven't noticed, this is my favorite forum.)

#24 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

Who voted other? :huh:

#25 Guest_Joey1_*

Guest_Joey1_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:11 PM

@anti-spyware freak

What about Micro world anti-virus toolkit (Based on Kaspersky)?It's a on-demand scanner that is based on Kaspersky. I saw it in the wilders forum, and in the gladiator forum.

#26 pcontour

pcontour

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:23 AM

:cool: I found that Avast caused other programs to faill. Spyware Guard was down, when Avast was up. It wasn't the only program that suddenly had a problem, but it's the only one I remember and really key. On my Windows 98 machine, Avast was too much program for the machine and it wouldn't run. I found that Avast was better than AVG at detecting viruses in my email. Every day Avast :deal: would correctly identify an email virus, that neith mcaffee or AVG has ever found. When the virus came in I was immediately notified with a popup screen and a voice warning. I loved it. :love: Avast was very slow runnning a full system scan and AVG is quick.

I really liked Avast, but I actually have AVG running on both PC's now. Avast is really cool and provides more protection in one package, however since it make other peices of my protection fair, I had to remove it. :techsupport:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button