Suspicious Results

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Abbot

Abbot

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:50 AM

Prior to running PestPatrol's Free Scan, I ran Window Washer. Then, I ran Ad-Aware with no problems found.

Immediately, PestPatrol said it located a hijack called CWS.googleMS.3 and clicking on the plus sign told me that it was located in HKEY Local Machine Software Microsoft (and the rest was not viewable) which was in the color blue (it was a hyperlink). Attempting to copy the hyperlink by dragging over it did nothing. Attempting to right-click on it transferred me to a page that was titled CWS.googleMS.3 and stayed there only long enough for me to catch the title before it bounced to the general CWS page. However, no mention of this particular hijack anywhere on their rather lengthy page.

I then shut down the browser (IE6) and ran Spybot S&D, and it found no problems except the DSO Exploit, which (of course) even though it states that the problem is fixed, it never does. But no mentioned of PestPatrol's claimed hijack find.

Then, I downloaded their 10-day free trial. I installed it, even though Windows warned me that there was no digital signature (contrary to PestPatrol's claim that it is digitally signed). Then I ran PestPatrol's 10-day free trial and it did not find the claimed CWS.googleMS.3 hijack. :gasp:

But it gets better!

I then shut down PestPatrol in the System Tray, then went back to PestPatrol's site and re-ran their Free Scan and - you guessed it - the scan found CWS.googleMS.3 once more.

Short of this being a Root Kit problem, I hereby announce my strong suspicion that PestPatrol's Free Scan actually found anything.

#2 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:00 AM

PestPatrol is well-known (bad-known?) of his false positives. That means that it find lots of stuff which is NOT spyware. I would remove it from your disk, and only install Spybot SD, Ad Aware and maybe SpySweeper. Also get some Prevention and download Spywareblaster and spywareGuard. Don't look at the things PestPatrol said.

PS: for the links to the programs see below :D

PSS: And for the future, if you still want to download other programs to remove spyware, take a look HERE FIRST!

Edited by H@ns, 27 July 2004 - 04:02 AM.

Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

#3 Abbot

Abbot

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:18 AM

Thank you for confirming my suspicions, H@ns! The only reason I posted this is because of the news on this site's homepage that Dell has finally added Spyware removal support in their tech support center, and even links to PestPatrol's Free Scan page. I had no idea, of course, that PestPatrol is known for their deception (neither does this surprise me).

At any rate, before you replied, I immedately installed the latest / greatest version of Mozilla's Firefox, and will take advantage of the much appreciated links you provided at the end of your reply.

Thanks again :bounce:

#4 Abbot

Abbot

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:20 AM

Oops, I forgot to mention .. yes I uninstalled PestPatrol too!

#5 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:24 AM

About all those links:

That's my signature :D

It shows up under each post ;)

One important thing: Do not download more than one Firewall and Anti-virus! It can cause problems.
Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button