Photo

Easy one (I hope) -- Where is Notepad.exe?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jcuz

jcuz

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:07 PM

I have had the good fortune, with the generous help of several folks, here and at PCPitstop, to rid my system of CWS, MyWebSearch, and the evil about:blank infestation. I just hope the removal is permanent and the scum doesn't come back. However, as a result of the infestation, my notepad.exe is now named notepad.exe.bak. I know where it is and I should be able to get to it and move it and rename it to its correct name. But that has me worried -- is my notepad.exe.bak file the same file I originally had, or has it been corrupted and is just sitting there waiting for me to rename it and make it accessible again? It is shown to be 53K in size, which seems small to me.

A couple of days ago, I think I was scanning this section and ran across a person having the same problem. A guru provided an address for a download of a clean copy of notepad.exe. I figured that would help me kill two birds, etc., and I tried the download. Nothing happened. Time after time I clicked on the URL and got nothing but a white blank page. I assume that with all the hijacker crap going on now, the download site was just busy. I tried over a period of several hours but could never get through. I wish to try again, but I wasn't on my toes and didn't write down the download site. All I remember is that past the midpoint, it had "merijn" as part of its address. Can somebody please provide me with that address again, or perhaps steer me to a site where I can get a clean copy? My OS is WinME (I didn't think I had a choice at the time). Am I possibly asking for trouble, such as reinfection, by messing with notepad? In my Windows ME, I do have a System32 file, which right now only has some "drivers" folder and a spooler entry. Does the "good" Notepad.exe go in System32, as I have read, or in System? Any assistance/advice/info will be most welcome. Thanks to all of you for the great work you're doing. Wish I had the savvy to join you.

#2 jcuz

jcuz

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:42 PM

RESOLVED. Found a clean copy of Notepad.exe for WinME, downloaded it, installed it, tested it, and it works fine. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!