Active@ Eraser, Eraser, etc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gaucho

gaucho

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:48 PM

I used Active@ Eraser to wipe my unused space on my local drives, and also used Eraser to do the same. I used Guttman's on both programs and I have the enterprise version of the Active@ Eraser product.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to prevent recovery or would it be better to destroy the drives and get new ones? Some of my clients have sensitive copyrighted information I can't take chances with so I need to know what solution to use both now and in the future.

By the way, I almost got scared into buying EE and then I saw it is possibly a scam.

The more info the better. TIA.

Edited by gaucho, 28 July 2004 - 08:48 PM.

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:18 PM

I would say Guttman's 35 passes on any hard drive should be enough to delete the data beyond recovery, but as you probably already know the data is theoretically still recoverable. But such a process is very expensive and time consuming, and it would be highly unlikely that the data could be recovered completely or at all after 35 passes.

On the other hand removing and destroying the drives would absolutely remove any chance of the data being recovered now or in the future, should newer and cheaper forms of recovery become available.

With what seems like a very delicate matter, i will leave the choice up to you to decide how best to take care of the situtation.

#3 gaucho

gaucho

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

I can't send you a PM... why?

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

Not sure, i successfully sent a test PM to myself. Email is disabled though.

#5 gaucho

gaucho

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

"You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board "

#6 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:26 PM

When you have enough posts to be a Full Member then you can send PMs and Emails. I believe that's 5 posts.

Or you will have the privilege if you sign up for the Boot Camp.

Please don't abuse the privilege. Post your questions in the forums so that others can benefit. We do not offer help via PM or Email. PMs and Emails should be reserved for urgent or private things.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#7 gaucho

gaucho

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:56 PM

cnm... thanks for the advice.

Do you have any words of wisdom on this post? Also, another question... what jurisdiction does this fall under: a site outside the US sellingproducts that are illigal to purchase in US is accessed from within the US. Nothing is bought or trafficed or distributed by the person accessing the site. I've heard many differing opinions on the subject, but needed to get more information.

Thanks!

Edited by gaucho, 29 July 2004 - 07:57 PM.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:10 PM

I don't think access would be illegal, but it might attract the attention of the government snoops.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#9 gaucho

gaucho

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

It's not terrorist-related... not sure if that makes a difference. If there is no payment or distribution made, just access, do you think it would be necessary to destroy the devices the access occured on, or is that just paranoid? Is there a way to do a remote scan such as with Active Undelete or other recovery tools, and how common is it for "snoops" to hack into systems?

By the way, I really appreciate your input on this, I know it is off the wall.

Edited by gaucho, 29 July 2004 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button