27 replies to this topic

#1 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:06 PM

This is just a test, Iím curious to see how many people will actually click on this post.

The methods I used to lure you into this post are similar to the ones used by some trojans, spyware and malware programs and their writers in order to distribute their malware and infect your computer.

These tactics are also commonly used in some of the internet and email worms, viruses and Trojans in order to entice you into clicking on a link or downloading and running attachments. An example of this is outlined in this news article: http://news.zdnet.co...39161519,00.htm

If this post contained malicious code, you would already be infected. :techsupport: (relax there is no malicious code in this post)

Just food for thought.

Anyway, I feel bad about luring you here. As a gift to you please download the attached (Awesome_screensaver) file.

Attached Files

Edited by Trilobite, 29 July 2004 - 11:23 AM.

#2 CyberRaptor

CyberRaptor

Move Zig

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:21 PM

ARGHHH and I fell for it. I just clicked it without thinking about it. But if I saw it in an email or something I certainly would not have read it.

#3 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:52 AM

Shame on you!
If you are reading this, go back and reread the post.† This could have easily been a virus, Trojan or malware program.†

These tactics are also commonly used in some of the internet and email worms, viruses and Trojans in order to entice you into clicking on a link or downloading and running attachments.† If you are unsure about an attachment or do not know why it was sent to your email, then do not open it.

Just food for thought.

Since you fell for this trick twice, you might also want to take a look at 'what is a trojan': http://forums.spywar...?showtopic=5622

Again there is no malicious code contained in this file.

:rofl: And what will my Kaspersky AV do if a virus try to break in my computer? Yeah, HE will block it. But lucky me, I get not a lot of Spam, max. 1 per week or so. Easily to recognize. (GIVE US UR PERSONAL... and CUTE GIRLS ATTACHED etc etc)

Edited by H@ns, 29 July 2004 - 12:53 AM.

Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

#4 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

The methods I used to lure you into this post are similar to the ones used by some trojans, spyware and malware programs and their writers in order to distribute their malware and infect your computer.

Difference is that we know you. If some girl is sending me an address to visit for pictures... I won't fall for it.

#5 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:53 AM

And what will my Kaspersky AV do if a virus try to break in my computer? Yeah, HE will block it.

Perhaps not if you are one of the first victims or if your AV has not been updated.

Difference is that we know you. If some girl is sending me an address to visit for pictures... I won't fall for it.

And what if you were to receive an email from me, out of the clear blue, with similar wording and an attachment, would you blindly open that too just because you know me? :deal:

Yeah, I knowÖit was a dirty little trick. :evilgrin: :rofl: :whome: :itok:

#6 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

Perhaps not if you are one of the first victims or if your AV has not been updated.

My Kaspersky updates every hour ;)

#7 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:08 AM

My Kaspersky updates every hour ;)

This is a very good thing to practice.

But remember, this does not make you immune to these threats and most AV programs do not target spyware.

P.S. The attachment was an afterthought. Iím glad you like it. :evilgrin: :rofl:

Edited by Trilobite, 29 July 2004 - 11:10 AM.

#8 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

Yes, but I also have SpywareBlaster, and I'm not so crazy to click on things I don't trust. Kaspersky does not target spyware, but i'm since a few months spyware-free. This only with SpywareBlaster and don't trust everything on the web. I run Ad Aware 2 times per month now, and it finds only some tracking cookies, but that's all.

#9 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:37 PM

And what if you were to receive an email from me, out of the clear blue, with similar wording and an attachment, would you blindly open that too just because you know me? :deal:

Depends on what you wanted. If you were peddling warez or v1@grA, you'd probably get canned. As far as attachments are concerned. Don't use HTML and ActiveX. Just as with IE, don't use OE. I use Pegasus, which doesn't open attachments. Always look at the final extension, 'cause that's the extension. And always use the best antivirus there is! Common sense!

P.S.: part of safe Internet is --> 'Don't use Microsoft!'

#10 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:49 PM

Depends on what you wanted. If you were peddling warez or v1@grA, you'd probably get canned. As far as attachments are concerned. Don't use HTML and ActiveX. Just as with IE, don't use OE. I use Pegasus, which doesn't open attachments. Always look at the final extension, 'cause that's the extension. And always use the best antivirus there is! Common sense!

P.S.: part of safe Internet is --> 'Don't use Microsoft!'

Yes, but I also have SpywareBlaster, and I'm not so crazy to click on things I don't trust. Kaspersky does not target spyware, but i'm since a few months spyware-free. This only with SpywareBlaster and don't trust everything on the web. I run Ad Aware 2 times per month now...

All good advice! :thumbsup:

#11 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:19 AM

Dangit I have failed the test! Bad user! Bad user! Must stop clicking :ugh:

#12 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

Kinda helps if you're using a client that refuses to read anything but plain text e-mail (SquirrelMail) and you've got SpamAssassin running.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#13 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:01 AM

:blush:
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:03 PM

Yep good one i did it on purpose though im just reading posts! I never click on junk with titles like that but its very high in curiosity when there posted like that!!!!
Come Visit my channel for new videos from me
Funny Videos From cowsgonemadd3
Prayer Changes!
-Austin Z

#15 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:59 AM

This is just a test, Iím curious to see how many people will actually click on this post.

These tactics are also commonly used in some of the internet and email worms, viruses and Trojans in order to entice you into clicking on a link or downloading and running attachments. An example of this is outlined in this news article: http://news.zdnet.co...39161519,00.htm

If this post contained malicious code, you would already be infected. :techsupport: (relax there is no malicious code in this post)

Just food for thought.

Anyway, I feel bad about luring you here. As a gift to you please download the attached (Awesome_screensaver) file.

So, where's my screensaver? :rofl: :alarm:
Rights are never important until you don't have them.

#16 macaroo

macaroo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 07:09 AM

I recognized your name and associated it with a source of good information. I would not have clicked if I had not recognized your moniker!!

#17 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:19 AM

So, where's my screensaver?

screensaver? :wtf: :scratchhead:

I never said anything about a screensaver.

It's just what I chose to name the attachment... :rofl: :whistle: :D

I recognized your name and associated it with a source of good information. 

Thanks! :wave:

Edited by Trilobite, 12 August 2004 - 08:20 AM.

#18 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

Yes, I fell for it too, but I'm not quite sure what it proves. I'm reasonably sure that anyone posting malicious links in this site would be, at the very least, bombed by B52s flown by SWI moderators, so I consider this a controlled environment. I would not click rashly outside of here. And I also recognised the name Trilobite as normally being associated with something worth reading.
Even so, I didn't try to open your 'screensaver'.
:D
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#19 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:13 AM

:rofl:
And thank you too for the kind words.

What?!? You didnít want to open the screensaver file? :lol:

I have noticed that it hasnít been downloaded a lot, so I think people are catching on. :thumbsup:

If you are interested in what it is, itís a text file that H@ns quoted word for word. :evilgrin: :wave:

Edited by Trilobite, 12 August 2004 - 09:14 AM.

#20 Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing

Donut Patron

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

So, are you really telling me I don't get a kewl screensaver or any important info? :)
Maybe... I've been duped. :huh: :ph34r: :evilgrin: :wave:

Ok, folks also don't click on those "CLICK HERE TO ENLARGE [insert body part]!!"

Edited by Archon_Wing, 12 August 2004 - 10:17 PM.

Rights are never important until you don't have them.

#21 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:57 PM

I thought this topic would have been spam, I had to look incase it needed locking....

Thats my excuse.

#22 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 11:48 AM

Good excuse! Looks like its getting looked at over 360 posts to date!

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 14 August 2004 - 11:49 AM.

Come Visit my channel for new videos from me
Funny Videos From cowsgonemadd3
Prayer Changes!
-Austin Z

#23 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

Looks like its getting looked at over 360 posts to date!

I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

#24 BigGeoff

BigGeoff

Malware Interuptus

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:33 AM

Damn, fell for that both times, and I thought SWI was a trusted site too :rolleyes:

Good job I'm not so careless with that spam.

BigGeoff
ĎA mind stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensioní

'Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find'

Spybot S&D...AdAware...CWShredder... IE-Spyad... Spyware Blaster...Keep windows updated...Add MVPS hosts file...
Firefox - The browser, reloaded...

Consider donating to help fight the malware wars....

#25 joysness

joysness

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:10 PM

OK How I came to be in this thread :gasp:

I did a search for a link to Cookie Wall and this came up second on the list!!??
Not sure why!? :huh:

When I read the title and who it was from I trusted it and clicked.

Anyway.... "That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!" :D :lol:

#26 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

:D :lol: :rofl:

Bump :evilgrin:

:whistle:

#27 lamuskrat

lamuskrat

Lamuskrat

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:11 AM

Boy do I feel stupid, I fell for it too.
You now owe all of us an awsome screen saver..LOL
Lamuskrat

Online Virus and Trojan Scanners
Mcafee.....Panda Software.....Housecall.....Trojanhunter
Tools for Fighting Spyware
Spybot 1.3.....Ad-Aware.....CWShredder.....Hijack This
Tools for Prevention
SpywareBlaster.....Spywareguard.....IE-Spyad.....AVG Free Anti-Virus.....Zone Alarm Free Firewall.....Kerio Personal Firewall

#28 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

Boy do I feel stupid, I fell for it too.
You now owe all of us an awsome screen saver..LOL

Perhaps in more ways than oneÖ
If you re-read the post, you will notice that I never stated that I would give anyone an awesome screensaver.
Like most Trojans, I simply gave the attached file a more tempting filename. :evilgrin:

I believe Zero had this to say in regards to Trojans:

Yes. It is disguised as a "gift". Example, you are surfing the net and you see a link "Nero 6 full (works!!!)". You really think it is thjat particular software when in fact, it is just a trojan named that to fool the user.

Similar to what they did to Troy. They thought they were getting a giant wooden horse so they took it in, little did they know it was 'backdoored'.

Its why theyre callled 'backdoors'.

In more cases, a Trojan can be "binded" with a legitamate exe. So if you dio in fact download "Nero 6 full (works!!!)" it may work to show you nothing abnormal is happening, when the case is, you just ran two exe's. The software pack nero and a trojan.

@all

I do not consider anyone stupid for Ďfallingí for this post.
I consider Spywareinfo.com forums a learning tool. If you have Ďfallení for this post, I hope that it is the only time you will fall for this type of deception.
The internet is becoming clogged with spam, Trojans, malware and phishing schemes. More, both in number and in cleverness, are being released on the internet daily.
I would much rather you fall for this post and learn from it, than falling for a malicious Trojan and end up learning the hard way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button