Norton or Easy Armor from Gateway?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jlmf

jlmf

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:35 PM

Hello! My Norton is about to expire, and I have been so displeased with Symantec's lack of phone help and terrible e-mail help that I'm thinking of switching to an AV/Firewall (I hope) program that Gateway suggested, something called Easy Armor (Armour)? It apparently has a 1-year free trial.

Would this Easy Armour protect me from these terrible adware/spyware problems that brought me to this (wonderful) forum in the first place?

Would the protection provided by Easy Armor be as good as that provided by Norton (2003 Windows ME)?

Please offer any advice you can give!

Thanks!

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:18 PM

It won't do it.

Norton is a huge resource hog as well.

Try Grisoft's AVG, which is free permanently with practically daily updates. There's a link to it in my signature.

In terms of a firewall, if you're on broadband, get and use a router. They're cheap and will block all inbound connections unless requested specifically by your machine. If you can't or won't spring for a router, ZoneAlarm and Kerio are excellent free firewalls. Kerio 2 is recommended, and if you search around the forums here, odds are you'll find a link.

For spyware and such, get and update (often) Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.

The best defense, though, is knowledge.

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 29 July 2004 - 12:18 PM.

Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 jlmf

jlmf

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:26 PM

Thanks so much for the information and advice, Tuxedo Jack! I thought a router was something you use so you can hook more than one computer up to the internet in one house. We have Road Runner, so I think it should be possible (I get the definition of broadband confused1)

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:29 AM

Yeah, Roadrunner allows routers. You'll have to know your username and password, and you can route your cable modem into your router, then that into your PC/PCs.

Like I said, it'll stop hackers cold.

#5 jlmf

jlmf

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:52 PM

Umm, this will be a rather naive question, but would it ever be possible to use the router to hook up our laptop (the laptop is not equipped with a modem--guess we'd have to buy one of those?)

Then will it be pretty easy to give our computers instructions about what to block?

Sorry for the silly questions!!! And thanks for any answers you can give!

#6 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:03 PM

Actually, as long as the laptop have a network jack (10/100BaseT RJ45 port - looks like a phone port, but it's bigger), you can just plug it into the router and the DHCP server inside it will pick it up and add it to the connection.

The router takes care of blocking incoming connections on its own, but you've still got to police the machines with antivirus software and Ad-Aware/Spybot.

#7 jlmf

jlmf

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:56 PM

Cool! Thanks SO much!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button