12 replies to this topic

#1 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:04 AM

This will probably be all over the Net tomorrow, but right now, I have the exclusive story.

http://www.netrn.net...es2/000621.html

PDF document filed in US Court in Southern California:

http://www.spywarewa..._v_Symantec.pdf
Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP 2005-2009 Windows - Security

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:23 PM

That is unbelievable. They steal data that was stolen from Ad-Aware and Spybot, then they have the _GALL_ to pull this?

I hope they're bankrupted by it. Call me bitter and cynical, but this sickens me.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 SpywareDestroyer

SpywareDestroyer

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:44 PM

There are stupid. SpywareNuker steals data out of legitimate programs and now they are suing Symantec?

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

Amen!
Come Visit my channel for new videos from me
Funny Videos From cowsgonemadd3
Prayer Changes!
-Austin Z

#5 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:15 AM

LOL I swear people will sue over the anything and lately it's just more and more extreme. I hope they get laughed out of court.

#6 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:06 PM

Everyone is going mad. Where on earth will it all end up? It is just stupid. They probably think they are like David fighting Goliath and the courts will have pity on them.
I wonder if the judge is a member of this site. Maybe he/she should be.

Keep us informed please of any progress.
Member of ASAP

#7 littleant

littleant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:40 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no single report of Spyware Nuker acting as an adware.
Even more, Spyware Weekly Newsleter says that Spyware Nuker is *not* adware.
http://www.spywarein...ives/0804/4.php

In all fairness, the software is not adware. I can't imagine why it is labeled as adware by Symantec. There were some rumors that the original version might have bundled adware or been distributed using drive-by downloads, but I've never seen any proof of it myself.

Imagine that a reputable news paper in all of its fairness publishes something false (and bad) about you. Would that make you a very happy person?

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:46 PM

Before you get too deep into defending those poor people over at SpywareNuker, check out the info about them here:

http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 littleant

littleant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

I believe that the original subject was Symantec having Spyware Nuker listed as adware and Trekeight suing Symantec for doing that.

The link you sent (or this anchor)
http://www.spywarewa...re.htm#swn_note
has nothing about it.

I did notice that references on that page refer to each other partially, but still I couldn't find anything about Spyware Nuker downloading or serving ads.

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:59 PM

If you look at the listing for Spyware Nuker, it refers to it being Adware, but my main point is that they stole the code they are using and they are no angels... They are thieves, pure and simple...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#11 littleant

littleant

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 06:18 PM

If you look at the listing for Spyware Nuker, it refers to it being Adware, but my main point is that they stole the code they are using and they are no angels... They are thieves, pure and simple...

I did it again, and the page says "company is known adware distributor". I take it refers to a company that owns the product, since it says' company', not the product.

I got your point, but it relates to my post only remotely - my post is about the title of the topic - 'SpywareNuker Sues Symantec' and the fact that I couldn't find any reports of Spyware Nuker serving any ads.

I have Spyware Nuker running and I got no ads except javascript based pop ups. But if 'They are thieves, pure and simple' is supposed to make me believe that Spyware Nuker is serving ads I apologize for my ignorance.

#12 eburger68

eburger68

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:41 PM

Hi:

Littleant is correct. The Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware page does not claim that SpywareNuker is itself adware or that it serves ads. Moreover, the note on SpywareNuker says: "No version of SpywareNuker, so far as we can tell, has itself installed adware or spyware." The company behind SpywareNuker (Trek8/TrekData) has been associated with BlueHavenMedia, a known distributor or adware -- but that doesn't make SpywareNuker itself adware.

As for the allegations of stolen code: TrekData licensed a version of BPS Spyware & Adware Remover and re-branded it as Version 1 of SpywareNuker. That's the code that was allegedly stolen -- not by TrekData/Trek8, but by BPS. Trek8/TrekData has released a completely new version of SpywareNuker that is not based on the BPS code.

Readers shoud keep in mind that the question before the court, if this case goes to trial (and I doubt it will), will not be whether TrekData/Trek8 a "bad" company. The central question will be whether SpywareNuker in its current form is spyware/adware, as alleged by Symantec in its write-up here:

http://sarc.com/avce...ywarenuker.html

My guess is that Symantec's lawyers will settle this out of court, remove SpywareNuker from NAV's definitions, and take down the write-up on SpywareNuker.

Eric L. Howes

Edited by eburger68, 18 August 2004 - 12:12 AM.

#13 ChaoGuy

ChaoGuy

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:42 AM

This will probably be all over the Net tomorrow, but right now, I have the exclusive story.

http://www.netrn.net...es2/000621.html

PDF document filed in US Court in Southern California:

http://www.spywarewa..._v_Symantec.pdf

I'm beggening to think that with these rogue spyware programs sueing major compaines, it is likly enough they are pulling somthing that happened with the Filesharing programs, and from what I just read, FavoriteMan and WhenU are beggening to be like serval CWS Virants, what is also worst, given or take from the lastest test Run I had with the Spyware problems , there is likly more Spyware besides the ones that are bundled with that program and I might add I had a log Saved for just this occasion that this program acts almost like CWS,

These are possablity programs that may come with the bundled software after thier updater programs download them,

DealHelper
Vx2
Ezula TopText
Clearsearch(non CWS version)
ZSearch
VirtualBouncer
NetPal
eUniverse
Webrebates
Joystick
Incredifind
ISTbar/AUpdate

I'm not sure if my predictions will be correct on this, but with any thing relating of FavoriteMan's parasites or Sub virants these will also be the likly ones that you may end up seeing, wich could have somthing on it that would block this websites and includes Antivirus and Securety websites, but of coruse aways read thier EULA because they could have more then what you bargined for. :deal:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button