Pest Patrol and Spybot S&D

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmrinva

cmrinva

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:28 PM

Hi, all. Does anyone know if the new update to Pest Patrol contains false positives for Bonzi Buddy and Adshooter.searchforit? I looked for most all of the entries it said to look for and could not find them.

Also, the latest Spybot S&D had the following checked (to NOT search for), and I didn't mark them: LSP.new.net, new.net, My Search, and Sidestep. I was not sure if these were automatically checked to ignore by the update or not.

Also my HJT log has changed and has an R0 entry, plus a couple of entries with "no file" after them.

Thanks.

cmrinva

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

Hi Cmrinva

I have Pest Patrol and did get the AdShooter.SearchForit false positive also, (among others) but i did not get Bonzi Buddy, but that doesn't mean it isn't a FP. Pest Patrol is famous for its False Positives. I would always consider anything found by PP to be a FP first before anything else. I also wouldn't recommend PP for newbies at all, due to its high rate of FPs.

As far as Spybot goes, i also have the same items checked that you do, not sure why their checked. Perhaps a visit to their forum would shed some light on the matter. That's what i'm going to do.

#3 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:33 PM

I found this link to more info on the Spybot problem. http://www.dslreport...72995~mode=flat

Hth.

#4 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:17 PM

The FP for AdShooter.SearchForit seems to happen if you have SpywareBlaster installed. SpywareBlaster sets the killbit for AdShooter.SearchForit, but Pest Patrol doesn't recognize it properly.

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#5 cmrinva

cmrinva

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:21 AM

Thanks, lonewolf and VashonDude. I read the article at dsl reports - at least that explains that. I am aware of PP's propensity for fp's, but wanted input.

Any ideas on the RO main/local page= (no words, just blank field), F2 userinit.exe, an 09 extra button - no name and no file? I think the other one I was concerned about is 20 apitrap.dll, which may be related to NAV according to Acsell's list.

Any insight appreciated.

#6 vaseloid

vaseloid

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:33 PM

everytime i scan with PP, it find BonziBuddy and Download Accelerator Plus -- none of which I have nor had. They're all registry strings and I'm not sure I should remove them since, as stated, I never had them. Also i'm virus/trojan/scum- or no-scumware free. Any advice? :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button