Tracking cookie?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 resiak

resiak

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:26 AM

I am using Ad-Aware to remove a bunch of spyware on my comp. I had the Downloader MScache Trojan on my comp, I'm pretty sure I got rid of it and all that it added to my comp. But Ad-Aware keeps finding "Tracking Cookies". Every time I remove them and restart my comp, they come back. I can't seem to get rid of them. Anyone know how I can get rid of them, for good?

Edited by resiak, 01 August 2004 - 12:50 AM.

#2 silence351

silence351

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:03 AM

You could try getting Ad-aware to remove the cookies again,and then if you use Internet Explorer 6,u could try going to tools,internet options,click the privacy tab,click advanced,put a check next to override automatic cookie handling,then set first party to either accept or prompt,then click block for third party cookies,then check allow session cookies.Then,maybe this will keep most tracking cookies off your computer.

If you use Mozilla Firefox,it would be tools,privacy,click cookies to expand it,enable cookies,then a check next to 'for the originating website only',then choose one of the three options below,whichever one works for you(if you use firefox that is)

#3 silence351

silence351

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:18 AM

Also,if you are unsure about the trojan,this is a good thing to have in addition to Ad-awaretrojanhunter it has a one month free trial,then you can buy if you like it.

#4 resiak

resiak

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't want to make it prompt for first or third party cookies because this is my cousinís comp and she really wouldn't want to have to accept or block cookies. She really wouldn't know what to accept and what not to accept. I'm sure she would also find it annoying. I also don't want to block them automatically because then she would have trouble viewing some pages.

Also, I don't even have to open internet explorer after removing the Tracking Cookies and they come back after restarting the comp.

I think they may be being downloaded from a Trojan or something. Because Downloader MScache "the Trojan that was on the comp" downloads and installs software from a predetermined web site. I also had numerous other Trojans. I got rid of most of them. But because these tracking cookies keep coming back I am wondering if there is still a Trojan on the comp. I did a scan with Norton Antivirus and PC Cillin, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D. I am going to download Trojan Hunter and see if that finds anything.

Edited by resiak, 01 August 2004 - 06:38 PM.

#5 resiak

resiak

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:05 AM

I just scanned my comp with TrojanHunter and found,
TrojanDownloader.apropo.100
TrojanDownloader.agent.100
Adware.purityScan.206
Adware.purityScan.104
Adware.purityScan.202

I am pretty sure Trojan Hunter removed them, well it renamed them. I moved them into a different directory for now, just for the heck of it. I am going to delete them later.

I am going to restart the comp and scan with Ad-Aware to see if the Tracking Cookies come back.

#6 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:00 AM

Please install Spybot SD.
Follow the directions here: http://www.spywarein...showtopic=18080
In the Immunize window, select "Block all bad pages silently", see picture below, click it to enlarge it. (This option will suppress prompts when tracking cookies are blocked).

Attached Thumbnails

• a_cnm2.jpg

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#7 resiak

resiak

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for posting off topic, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post questions in this section.

I already have Spyware S&D. I already immunized everything. I didn't block all pages silently though. I just enabled permanent blocking and Ad-Aware still finds tracking cookies.

I did a scan with Norton Antivirus and PC Cillin, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D.

Edited by resiak, 01 August 2004 - 06:37 PM.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for posting off topic, I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post questions in this section.

What?? Questions are fine.

The download blocker is different from the permanent blocking. Enable both.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#9 canoeingkidd

canoeingkidd

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

Also IE-SPYAD (https://netfiles.uiu...ww/resource.htm) can block alot of bad cookies as well as other things.

AnalogX CookieWall (http://www.analogx.c...work/cookie.htm) allows you to decide which cookies to keep and which to get rid of.

#10 resiak

resiak

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 06:49 PM

What?? Questions are fine.

How come there is a pined post saying "Do not ask for help in this forum"?

I blocked both, but Ad-aware still finds Tracking Cookies :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button