3 replies to this topic

#1 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:38 AM

The best move I've made in recent weeks is getting a snappy little firefox. Virtually every trojan known to man (woman too) targets Microsoft Internet Explorer. So you download the patchs, your harddrive gets more full of junk, and the patchs are always too little too late.
And Gates gets richer.
Mozilla Firefox
(Get it here)
is safer, and I found it a better browser too. I found it quicker and generally more efficient than MSIE, plus the desktop icon is much nicer, which matters to me.(Yeah I know I'm sad but...)
And it works in tandem with AdAware.
And no I don't work at Mozilla, it really is better. :D :D
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#2 mellonhead

mellonhead

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:31 AM

Yet, take a look at the 'Security Warning' forum and you will see a host of Mozilla/Firefox vulnerabilities. The more popular they become, the more they will be targeted. I use Firefox too, so I hope the fixes will come soon, or else there will be no real benefit to use 'alternative' browsers.

#3 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:55 AM

None of the browsers are "fully secure". :hmmm:

#4 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:56 AM

Absolutely fair comments.
I don't doubt for one moment Firefox will be targeted more the more people use it, and no, there's no such thing as a secure browser, but I'm just relating my own personal experience, I don't have problems with 'drive by download' activex powered sites any more, and surfing generally is much more interference-free. But I'm not about to scrap my firewall, stop scanning for malware, and so on.
But I do think MSIE users have been sold short. It does seem the security updates are sloppy and haphazard, and are more about patching up an outdated product rather than go to the trouble of building a new one. All the patches and updates take up disc space and don't resolve the basic flaws.
Firefox has limitations, true, but I feel safer using it.

Edited by jedi, 04 August 2004 - 03:57 AM.

jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button