I have Mozilla. Now what?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hitnrun2001

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:31 AM

I switched from IE to Mozilla because it was recommended on the main site. Now that I have it, what should I adust for my settings?

#2 lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:37 PM

What would you like to adjust? Perhaps you could just follow basically what you were doing with your other browser. Some things i did in Firefox (for privacy reasons and you may not want to do this yourself) is uncheck the options to use java & javascript. I also added a few new shortcuts. One for my printer and another for a cookie plug-in. As well as some other minor changes. It's basically up to you to do what you want with your own browser.

#3 hitnrun2001

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

In terms of security would be great.

#4 Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:22 AM

There is probably only 1 semi-serious security tweak you need.

There are some sites that are causing xpi popups. XPI popups or usually used to install extensions which add further functionality to Mozilla firefox . However recently some bad guys are using it to get people to install malware ( the irony is this malware actually hijacks IE not mozilla lol though it uses mozilla to install itself)

Click No, and you will be fine. They are working out a means to protect you from such irriating triacks but for now turn xpi installation off, unless you intend to install an extensions.

Type about:Config in url bar.

search for

Highlight it, right click, modify , change to false.

OR install "toggleinstallation" to turn xpi install on or off

Mostly privacy tweaks

1) turn off referrer

Type about:Config in url bar.

Change the value of network.http.sendRefererHeader to 0.

2) Change all cookie lifespan to session only, block third party cookies

network.cookie.cookiebehaviour to 1
network.cookie.lifetimePolicy to 2

3) Turn off history, forms , set master password for password manager etc.

4) Use extensions like X, useragent switcher to clear history and change useragent (roughly to pretend to be like another browser)
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button