• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:49 PM

Version 5.0 of Zonealarm Firewall (Pro&Free) are now available. All Zonelabs products offer a 15-day trial.

For more information and download visit:

Zonelabs

#2 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:41 PM

!!!MCAFEE USERS!!! They have been some reported compatibility issues between Mcafee security center and the new version of Zonealarm. For more information please read these thread's: Mcafee Forum Threadand Zonealarm forum thread and Zonealarm forum trail

#3 Starbury

Starbury

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:06 PM

I downloaded the new version, ZoneAlarm free edition, and installed it. The interface is very nice. The new feature, antivirus monitoring, means nothing to me as it does not detect my antivirus software, which is AVG. Other than that, there are no other new features.

#4 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:57 PM

Just found out that Zonelabs have pulled the update off their servers because of the large number of compatibility issues reported for different AV programs.

#5 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:37 AM

it does not detect my antivirus software, which is AVG.

I too use AVG, & as per ZAF, I do not have a/v program running (...) Is it yet again one of their pitches to try & sell you a little extra?

It would be interesting to have feedback from users of other a/v, to know if they too are perceived by ZAF as having no running a/v.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#6 VashonDude

VashonDude

Forum Deity

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:27 AM

I use EZ Trust Antivirus. It recognizes it, but ZA keeps saying it's not up to date (The A/V program is set for autoupdating and had been updated a few houes bhefore this message popped up). Also says the A/V is not running.

-- LB
Want to help in the fight against malware? Join the SWI boot camp.

#7 Starbury

Starbury

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

I too use AVG, & as per ZAF, I do not have a/v program running (...) Is it yet again one of their pitches to try & sell you a little extra?

They are obviously trying to sell you a little extra. They should stop trying to add extra garbage; they should just put their focus on doing what a firewall is supposed to do.
They're trying to get too fancy. Antivirus monitoring? What a pointless feature. I could monitor my antivirus software on my own. I don't need my firewall to do that for me.

Edited by Starbury, 26 May 2004 - 09:40 AM.

#8 3k3

3k3

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:38 PM

Was going to download the new version but from what I have read about the new ZA 5.0 it hardly seems worthwhile. I use 4.5 Free and it's working just fine. Am also curious why you would need AV monitiring from your firewall. Are there any advantages to the new version. Use AVG and that's also working fine so definitely don't want that messed up..

Could somebody also tell me why the 'smilies' on the left all have red x's in them, i.e I can't use them or see them. Probably a simple solution, but I'll be darned if I can figure this one out.

#9 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:47 PM

You can take a look at this thread here for some info on the missing smilies. ;)

R.
I am the iron anchor.

#10 3k3

3k3

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:47 PM

Could somebody also tell me what this

Warn: (0%)

means.

Totally confused here................

#11 3k3

3k3

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:53 PM

Thanks rosso_acido that explains it. I can also get them in other forums.
They are fun but for me not absolutely neccessary..............

#12 Pretender

Pretender

Doctor of Learning

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:21 PM

I installed version 5.0.590.015
I'm using NOD32 resident and AVG as an on demand. No apparent problems. I thought, though, that I had version 5.0 previously, but the build had changed?!?

Oh yeah, using ZA Free

Edited by Pretender, 26 May 2004 - 05:22 PM.

Pretender

SpybotSD, Ad-aware, ZoneAlarm, NWClient, and from Javacool: (SG, SB, FC, MRUB, IDB), NOD32 v2, Norton GoBack 3.0

#13 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:13 PM

They seem to fix the compatibility issues between Zonealarm 5.0 and Mcafee Secuirty Center and VSO.

ZoneAlarm Forum Thread

ZoneAlarm Forum Thread

ZoneAlarm Forum Thread

You should also browse other zonealarm forum threads to keep up to date.

#14 brucedu

brucedu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:47 PM

A word of warning about ZA 5.0 - After upgrading, my comp (Win. XP Home) would completely lock up, usually when using IE6. When it froze, everything froze. Could not close any programs, could not run task manager to close the programs, could not open any new programs, could not turn off the computer and could not restart the computer. Only way could unfreeze was to unplug power source and plug back in. Checked the ZA forum and learned some others were having the same problem. Uninstalled version 5.0 and reinstalled version 4.5 and have had no further problems. Upgrade at your own peril.

#15 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 06:44 AM

Hi Brucedu,
just out of curiosity, when you upgraded, did you go for the recommended clean install, or else tried to save your settings from previous version?
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#16 brucedu

brucedu

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 10:18 PM

I installed over. Could just be my particular machine as well. I know others experienced the same problem but apparently there were a LOT of different problems with this release.

#17 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:05 AM

As of date/time of this post, ZA v4.5.594.000 has been made available again (it had been withdrawn) for download from here:
- http://download.zone...aseHistory.html

...in case you want to go back to the "pre v5" release.

Backoff ZAv5 procedure here:
- http://forum.zonelab...essage.id=11594

:ph34r:

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#18 trinity71

trinity71

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:11 AM

Dang!!

I just found this forum and subscribed to it (yeah, I'm behind, offline life has a way of buttin' in, lol)

So THAT'S why my pc would freeze up! I was beginning to wonder if I had some crap that managed to find it's way past all my defenses! Had me worried.

Jeezzz, but I hate to go back to the old version (laziness rearin' it's head) It's only happened a couple of times and it's been a while since I downloaded the new version.

Come to think of it, could it be causing my connection speeds to change? I have dialup (oh, SUCH A PAIN!) but it's all that is available where I am. When I try to connect, instead of getting the max I used to get, (about 49000 bps) it sometimes connects WAY slow. Right now it's about 16000!! Enough to make you want to chew nails. I usually just disconnect then reconnect, but didn't feel like it right now.

It's ALWAYS something!

D :wave:

Edited by trinity71, 03 July 2004 - 01:13 AM.

#19 ravenwarrior

ravenwarrior

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

Anyone else having problems? I don't want to update until it's safe.

#20 brownda7

brownda7

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

I've been using ZA 5.0.590.043 since release with no problems on Win XP 2.8 512RAM,

brownda

#21 JohnBurns

JohnBurns

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:29 PM

Anyone else having problems? I don't want to update until it's safe.

View Post

I am using ZoneAlarmVersion 5.1.033.000 (free) and have uninstalled NAV2003 and installed AVG 7.0 while it was installed, with no problems. I does NOT monitor my AVG however - but no problem - my Windows Security Center (XP SP2) does recognize AVG. I think maybe some people don't clean up their computers properly when trying to install programs. No problems here though.

#22 frodo009

frodo009

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:16 AM

I was happy with the old version. When I updated to the new version, I started to have problems with my internet connection. I contacted ZA support and they helped me solve it. Still pinning for the old version though :glare:

#23 Ad Infinitum

Ad Infinitum

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:19 AM

It didn't work on my hp pavilion a4262d.It "freezed" my internet connection and had to uninstall it.It works fine on my Dell Dimension 4550 but the antivirus monitoring feature is useless.Didn't even detect my Norton Antivirus 2002.

#24 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:05 AM

I have been running ZA(Free) 5.1.011.000, alongside AVG(Free), on 98SE for some time, with no problems. Is there any real difference between my current version and the new 5.1.033.00 update that is currently available for d/l?

:D
We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button