• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grey fox

grey fox

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

Hi

I need to install some telephone extensions using wall mounted face plates. I know that I need a punchdown tool to insert the cable into the pates but I don't know the actual name of the gizmo.

I live in the UK so I don't if the particular tool may have a different name elsewhere, but any suggestions and help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 mr bones

mr bones

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:27 PM

I know what you mean but I never knew it had a name. Mine has long gone since I didn't use it ever again.

If you have already bought the cable and box, try using the back edge of a Stanly blade or preferably, a jewellers screwdriver to push it home.

If you haven't bought any kit yet, this place supplies all you need;

http://www.euronetwo...ION_CABLES.html

#3 grey fox

grey fox

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:17 PM

Hi Mr Bones

I managed to find out that the tool I need is called a punchdown tool. The problem now is that the tool was advertised in connection with RJ45 faceplates. It was only 24.95 though so I'm thinking that I will just buy it and see, as the individual strands of RJ45 cables seem to be roughly the same size as telephone cable.

I have already got the other stuff lying around, so I will probably give your suggestions a try.

It probably seems that I am going to a lot of bother, but I have been told no cables running along the skirting boards and no large holes in the walls, my relationship depends on it. :lol:

#4 grey fox

grey fox

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:44 PM

Update

I was digging around in my box of tricks at work and I found these phone boxes that you can just screw the wires in to, in the same way when wiring a plug, so I did not have to buy that plug after all. Now I just need to find soe more of those boxes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button