#1 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:51 PM

Just a FYI...

I just got an update announcement from my AOL Instant Messenger, and I decided to download the update. It updates to version 5.5.3595, and it now wants to install both WeatherBug and WildTangent.

Naturally I unchecked the boxes, so you do have the option to not install either if you don't want them.

It doesn't appear to have added any new items to my HijackThis log, and I didn't see anything in Add/Remove programs that wasn't there before.

Attached Files

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#2 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:53 AM

How odd...Viewpoint isn't on there.

#3 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:54 AM

How odd...Viewpoint isn't on there.

Viewpoint is needed for some funtions in AIM as well as AOL IM.....

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:40 PM

Just because they're not in the logs doesn't mean they're not there; Patchou's Messenger Plus adds a deactivated LOP folder.

Check around and see if you find anything about them.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#5 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:14 PM

How odd that they bother to ask at all. I never install standalone versions of IM software, precisely because AIM once installed Viewpoint without asking or disclosing it.

Look into Trillian or Gaim. They do AOL as well as every other IM network all in one program, they don't install software that tracks your activities and you don't have to put up with ads.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#6 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:16 AM

Just a FYI...

I just got an update announcement from my AOL Instant Messenger, and I decided to download the update. It updates to version 5.5.3595, and it now wants to install both WeatherBug and WildTangent.

Naturally I unchecked the boxes, so you do have the option to not install either if you don't want them.

It doesn't appear to have added any new items to my HijackThis log, and I didn't see anything in Add/Remove programs that wasn't there before.

At least this time they give you the option. The update before that installed Wildtangent on my computer without my knowledge. I dont play AIM games...so basically didnt need it. Had to do Ad-ware and spybot to remove it. :thumbsup:

#7 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

Just a FYI...

At least this time they give you the option. The update before that installed Wildtangent on my computer without my knowledge. I dont play AIM games...so basically didnt need it. Had to do Ad-ware and spybot to remove it. :thumbsup:

#8 Mere_Mortal

Mere_Mortal

Spy-Aware

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:37 AM

Netscape gives the option to install Viewpoint, but even if you decline it gets installed anyways.

#9 spetham

spetham

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:30 PM

I had a real rant at Viewpoint last night; well at about 6 this morning. By 10, they'd sent me an uninstall program; AIM is still running ok since the uninstall; if anybody needs it, pm me and I'll happily send it you.

I've also sent an e-mail to AOL saying that if I don't hear from them by tomorrow at 6pm, I'll get the story on the web; I'm in the UK, so it gives plenty of time in the US to spread.

#10 Mr. Swenk

Mr. Swenk

Co-Owner of TechnoFusionElite.com

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

Could you upload that uninstall to the web and post a link? I was also wondering why you wanted to hear from them?
Useful Links
Cleaners
Ad-Aware CWShredder Hijack This!
Sasser virus Removal
Sasser Removal

Proudly Developped CWS Search in VB6 and VB7(.NET)

Co-Owner of TechnoFusionElite.com > Personal Domain

#11 thelittlecrab94

thelittlecrab94

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:26 AM

uhh ohh my grandma has Weatherbug installed, does this mean she has spyware? also my dad installed a WildTangent thing once, he knew it was spyware after that and never d/led anything from it again.

#12 NortyFiner

NortyFiner

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:29 PM

Fortunately, Weatherbug and Wildtangent are both relatively easy to remove. An uninstall followed by a scan with Spybot S&D (to find the leftover stuff) will usually do the trick.

HOWEVER, be aware that in the AIM folders, the install files for Wildtangent and/or Weatherbug are still hidden...I went in and found and deleted them by hand, just to make sure.
Admin of the Official San Francisco 49ers Forum
Visit us at http://49ers.hosttown.com

#13 Venkee

Venkee

Security Major

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:00 PM

This is a question for yall.. I want the latest aim features but I dont want all the crapware it comes with. Is it completely possible to disable all the crap it comes with and still use the messenger? I mean completely secure I dont want ANYTHING on my machine I didnt ask for.

#14 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

Yes it can be done....some users don't like the fact you get Viewpoint installed..you can get rid of it..search the forums...but things like Super Buddys & IM Greeting will not work anymore...

#15 Venkee

Venkee

Security Major

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:21 AM

I can live with that.. I dont need that crap Ijust want to talk spyware and adware free.

#16 Venkee

Venkee

Security Major

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:45 PM

Possible disturbing news here people..
Im not sure if this is true if anyone wants to check it out I refuse to dl new verion.\

Friend: the check boxes to not install weatherbug etc are just null boxes

Friend: they dont do nething

Friend: i found weatherbug viewpoint and wild tangent in my AIM folder

Friend: i'm not sure that they made them null but i'm 99.9999999999999999% sure they do nothing

If this is true... AOL is truly evil..

#17 2shane

2shane

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:10 AM

I go after spammers and stupid companies.. like VIEWPPOINT...

Here is who I complained too.

webmaster@smtpgw.oag.state.ny.us, press.office@ncs.police.uk, AskDOJ@usdoj.gov, SPAM@UCE.GOV, SPAM, lada@co.la.ca.us, sentinel@ftc.gov, info@nclnet.org, reportingspam@aca.gov.au

My complaint.

I want to lodge a formal complaint about Viewpoint Media Player, which is spyware.

It was installed on my computer without my consent.

It is tracking my browsing habits and then reporting them without my consent.

And despite Viewpoints "bullshit" privacy policy, this is my computer, this is my bandwidth - to my ISP, and I have not given them permission to use it.

It's computer trespass, it's invasion of privacy and it's theft.

I want to press charges against this company.

Shane Hanson.

I first found thier spyware when "Pest Patrol" notified me of their illegal installation:

The Pest Patrol Log.

The illegal installation and alteration of my computer registry.

(insert screen shot from Pest Patrol Log - ~ about 60 entires / modifications)

The illegal installation of software folders in my system.

(insert screen shot of SEARCH => Viewpoint - results ~ 7 folders 2 files and 1 dll)

The View Point Website:

http://www.viewpoint.com/pub/

lots of screen shots of the Viewpoint site....

The results (screen shot) of searching for "Viewpoint" and "spyware" ~ 10,400 entries in google.

An interesting site with the Viewpoints CEO letters in it.

http://www.spywarein...pril-2003/2.php

Yeah if you want a copy of my email, just ask...

2shane at iinet dot net dot au

#18 2shane

2shane

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:12 AM

I go after spammers and stupid companies.. like VIEWPPOINT...

Here is who I complained too.

webmaster@smtpgw.oag.state.ny.us, press.office@ncs.police.uk, AskDOJ@usdoj.gov, SPAM@UCE.GOV, SPAM, lada@co.la.ca.us, sentinel@ftc.gov, info@nclnet.org, reportingspam@aca.gov.au

My complaint.

I want to lodge a formal complaint about Viewpoint Media Player, which is spyware.

It was installed on my computer without my consent.

It is tracking my browsing habits and then reporting them without my consent.

And despite Viewpoints "bullshit" privacy policy, this is my computer, this is my bandwidth - to my ISP, and I have not given them permission to use it.

It's computer trespass, it's invasion of privacy and it's theft.

I want to press charges against this company.

Shane Hanson.

I first found thier spyware when "Pest Patrol" notified me of their illegal installation:

The Pest Patrol Log.

The illegal installation and alteration of my computer registry.

(insert screen shot from Pest Patrol Log - ~ about 60 entires / modifications)

The illegal installation of software folders in my system.

(insert screen shot of SEARCH => Viewpoint - results ~ 7 folders 2 files and 1 dll)

The View Point Website:

http://www.viewpoint.com/pub/

lots of screen shots of the Viewpoint site....

The results (screen shot) of searching for "Viewpoint" and "spyware" ~ 10,400 entries in google.

An interesting site with the Viewpoints CEO letters in it.

http://www.spywarein...pril-2003/2.php

Yeah if you want a copy of my email, just ask...

2shane at iinet dot net dot au

#19 Quantum

Quantum

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:46 PM

Venkee, I totally agree with my AOL software was installed a keylogger supposedly so that parents can monitor children's activities, I had never asked for this on my PC. Why would I?

On other forums people complain of this also on their machine - it's not harmful but an intrusion on my privacy.

AOL would not reply to any of my E-Mail or when I went to talk to them in live help!

Disgraceful! :angry:
Protection is the key
The following are all freeprograms for your protection:
Anti-Virus...AVG 7 AntiVir aVast!
Anti-Spyware...Ad-Aware SE Spybot S&D X-Cleaner
Don't let it get onto your system in the first place...Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard
Firewalls...ZoneAlarm Sygate Kerio
Keep Updated...Windows Update
Be safe not sorry

#20 krazykat

krazykat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

Just for your info.... WeatherBug isn't a problem... I've been running it on my comp for about 2 or 3 years now..... It's just a little program that lives in your taskbar and tells you what the temperature is... click it and you get current temp. humidity, etc.... it updates weather info almost constantly, and gives you easy access to forcasts.... alerts u if there is a storm coming.... it's actually a pretty neat program and none of the spyware removal programs think it's a problem.......and it sure hasn't caused any problems on my comp.

But aol has trojans in their software........ my comp was acting up so they told me to download from their site something called web util.... I downloaded and ran it and then looked at it's log (I don't think I was supposed to lol) it had searched for a bunch of .dll files..... including one which my virus scanner (AVG free) had deleted as a trojan "calsp.dll" so I did a google search thinking that it being missing was what was screwing up my internet and what I found when I searched was a bunch of complaints about aol dropping a trojan on peoples computers...
I finally had to reinstall windows and I switched to earthlink (they have better support anyways)
AOL SUCKS (pardon my language)

Edited by krazykat, 16 January 2005 - 01:37 AM.

#21 angoid

angoid

Cyberdefenestrator

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:03 AM

AOL is quite big here (UK), and I think I'm the only immediate family member who doesn't use it :blink: and guess who the only member is in my family who knows anything about spyware :p

I was working over this last year on an Internet website project for a group of 3 people, and one of them was using AOL. A lot of requirements / discussions took place by e-mail. More often than not, my e-mails to all 3 of them were junked by AOL, although all the other ISPs sent them through with no bother.

In other words, in AOL's humble opinion, I'm a spammer :D

Even complaining to AOL yielded very little results.

Edited by angoid, 16 January 2005 - 05:06 AM.

If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.

#22 Quantum

Quantum

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:31 PM

Just for your info.... WeatherBug isn't a problem...

If I was you I would get rid of it, although it is a nice programme on top it is infact spyware that monitors your internet activities.
Protection is the key
Don't let it get onto your system in the first place...Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard
Be safe not sorry

#23 krazykat

krazykat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:43 PM

Why don't ad-aware and spybot and spysubtract ever pick up on it then? Now I'm confused...... It's been on my computer for at least 3 or 4 years...

#24 Seventeen

Seventeen

Ad hater

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:26 AM

Why don't ad-aware and spybot and spysubtract ever pick up on it then? Now I'm confused...... It's been on my computer for at least 3 or 4 years...

View Post

They used too, but dropped Weatherbug when Weatherbug joined COAST. I think its a pile o' crap, I've had Weatherbug, My father has and sister too, constant armada of popups, plus its extremely stubborn not wanting to uninstall through the add/remove programs. Plus they bundle MySearch Toolbar(hijacker), I consider it way above a problem.

#25 krazykat

krazykat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:14 AM

That's strange....... I never get popups with it.....especially with their new version.......they just stick a banner ad on it and you get 1 or 2 emails each month from a "sponser" that you choose and that is also who the banner ad you see belongs to... so say you are interested in computer stuff... you choose that category and then pick a sponser who's ad you'll see on the weatherbug window..... and that's all it does...... that's what the updated version does anyways.... came out not that long ago I think..... like I said, I've been running it for 4 years and haven't had a problem related to it.... maybe it depends on whether you install it from aol or from the weatherbug homepage..... aol could be bundling stuff into it, couldn't they?

#26 Quantum

Quantum

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:34 AM

I suggest that you read this about the WeatherBug malware.

http://thundercloud....herbug-rant.htm

This includes all information about its adware ativities to the bundled MyWebSearch that can come with it.

Also WeatherBugis classed as spyware under MS Spyware protection.

I had it once and it takes a while to get rid of it kept saying

"Are you sure you want to delete this fine product"

OR

"If bad weather was coming WeatherBug can warn you, so WeatherBug is a life protector, are you sure you want to delete it" :gasp:
Protection is the key
Be safe not sorry

#27 krazykat

krazykat

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:54 AM

yeah it tries to change your mind about removing it.... but it doesn't prevent you from reinstalling it....... and as long as you don't install mywebsearch you don't even get any popups or anything...... the new version (I'm not sure about the old version since I installed that 4 years ago) does give you the option of not installing mywebsearch....... cause I didn't click the box next to install mywebsearch and it didn't get put on my computer... I haven't noticed any suspicious activity either.... I don't think it's weatherbug that causes the problems, I think it's the mywebsearch toolbar.... I could be wrong but it works well for me....I don't care that it has banner ads on the window because I rarely have the window open for more than 2 minutes at a time....... and if it slows my computer down it must be so little that I don't even notice it......

#28 Quantum

Quantum

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:07 AM

This is a little off the point but as we are talking about bundled products in AIM we can't forget Viewpoint Media Player that comes with AIm, AOL and other. This is also registered as spyware you can see here about it:

http://www.spywaregu...show.php?id=880

Another foistware product used by AOL :( , can it get any worse for them.
Protection is the key
Be safe not sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button