popups

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:21 PM

I've had a popup blocker for a long time but in the past few weeks ads from fastclick.com (mostly?) have been breaking through like it's not even there. My question is how can I block everything from fastclick? The restricted sites thing doesn't do jack!

#2 Bladeoz

Bladeoz

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

What does ad-ware show when you scan it? Does it come up with low-risk cookies or something else?

Have you got a firewall set up?
Just watch'in a bad dream I never wake up from

#3 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:32 PM

Here comes a long list....

Adaware, Spybot, AVG, a2, Trend Micro, and Hijack This say nothing new. I've had fastclick cookies blocked for months too and I'm running Zone Alarm at the highest setting that's still useful.

#4 Bladeoz

Bladeoz

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:55 AM

It seems a bit strange that its still getting through after all that... :S

Could it be possible that there is a program on your computer that the anti-stuff programs aren't finding? I thinks its possible to block sites not only in Internet Explorer but also in Zone Alarm. Its pretty odd that the ads are still popp'in up even after you've banned the address... maybe their comming from a seperate location - like with e-mail spam... theres multiple locations from which it comes.

Im a bit stumped on this one mate.

#5 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

I don't see a way to block sites on Zone Alarm...but I've only got the free version. Isn't there a way to block sites straight from the Hosts file? I know you can block browser hijackers that way since I've done it before.

#6 Bladeoz

Bladeoz

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

"I don't see a way to block sites on Zone Alarm..."

LOL... after double checking - neither can I :S

Sorry mate, I got confussed with another program I reckon, but since its been a while I've forgotten which... so much for help eh?

#7 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:52 AM

hahaha...I'm pretty patient. Luckily those popups only get through on a message board or two.

#8 Bladeoz

Bladeoz

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:55 PM

;)

It seems really strange that after all that you're still getting the buggers... I know that with some sites such as searchcc, not matter what you scan with or how you edit it - the bugger still hides and gets away. The only way around it short of going on a hunting expedition, is getting the removal patch from the spyware's original site. Weird eh? could that be a possibilty?

#9 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:43 AM

I have no idea. I did have a trojan on here for over a week before I got AVG. That's the only thing that would kill it! But after all the spyware/virus scanners I'm running could I still have something on here?

#10 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:10 AM

Could be from Messenger.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#11 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:15 PM

All I run is deadAIM...the popups always come up from the This Here forum and lissa explains. Good thing I don't go to those places alot.....

#12 techguy

techguy

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:05 PM

Do you have it set to accept pop ups from those sites?

#13 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:17 AM

Most definitley not. I can't stand popups! It's just that one fastclick that always gets through.

#14 usernamexyz

usernamexyz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:06 AM

I had this exact same problem.

If you read the article on preventing a browser hijacking on this site and set your security settings as indicated, this seems to eliminate the problem.

http://www.spywarein...ked/prevent.php

One site indicated that the IFRAMES option may have allowed this, but I'm not sure. I made these changes and so far haven't had any popups today.

#15 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:43 AM

Thanks...that looks good all the way around. But I may just look into using a different browser from what they said!

#16 shipyards

shipyards

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

Man....I just got mozilla. They don't mess around when it comes to the popups but all my websited look like SHIT on it! That's the first time I've seen them on anything but IE. Completely redesigning sites is so fun....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button