Having your system Hijacked by spyware/adware/slimeware (and a plethora of other words that can be used to describe it) is certainly frustrating and infurating. I would like to offer a bit of advice to help make your trip easier and hopefuly shorter.
There are a number of groups that have been created as listed here. Please become familiar with the groups so that you are putting your trust in the right people to help with your problem. Some members are very eager to help and believe me, this is certainly appreciated, however, without a few pieces of the puzzle - It is possible that you can damage a persons system beyond repair. If you would really like to help, please post a response in this "becoming a helper trainee" thread. Your joining will be welcomed by one and all.
To save time and get a faster response:
Can you please download HijackThis from the following location:
Install it into C:\HJT. Run it, click on scan, save log and please post your entire log in a new thread for analysis. The current version of HijackThis is version 2.0.2 - Please make sure you have this version otherwise you might get asked to download it again and repeat your posting.
Download the HijackThis Installer
Save the HJT Installer to to folder of your choice, then navigate to that folder and double-click HJTInstall.exe to start the installation.
When the Trend Micro HJT install box appears, click Install.
HijackThis (HJT) will be installed in the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis folder by default and a desktop shortcut will be created.
To help repair your own system, please keep the following points in mind:
- Vague topic titles are counterproductive. I would strongly suggest that a "Topic Title" contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with e.g. WinTools, http://...sp.html etc. For the "Topic Description" type in your Operating system e.g. Windows XP, Windows ME etc. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections and operating systems.
- The helpers are volunteers, we are not paid. We support for a variety of reasons, mostly because we are sick of spyware and just want to help eliminate it.
- Please be patient.
- The use of certain words, no matter how appropriate they may seem, does not get a faster response. Vulgarity, swearing etc may cause helpers to ignore your case as there are hundreds more needing help.
- When a list of instructions is offered, please follow through the list point-by-point. Do not ignore anything or miss steps as this prevents the solution from being found.
- Some fixes will work on some systems but not all, if a step does not work, we will simply proceed to the next step. Please do not start getting frustrated at the "Helper", We are, after all, only trying to help you.
- Please DO NOT email or send a personal message (PM) to any helper etc with your log asking them to look at it for you. This only serves to make people get more frustrated and those emails/PM's will get deleted without any response.
- If a point in the solution is that you download, for example - CoolWeb Shredder, do not assume that because you already have it that it is enough. Many of these programs are updated on a daily basis to help combat new infections. Download the programs when asked to as new versions may fix a problem whereas an older version will not.
- If you do not understand a step, do not panic, simply ask for direction and information. We will offer any advice necessary to help you.
- If a helper asks you to do a particular step, please do so as ignoring something may prevent us from helping to fix your problem.
- When being helped, please do not open a new case in the hopes that having multiple open cases will get a faster respone.
- When working on a case with a helper, please be sure to click on the "Add Reply" icon to respond and NOT the "New Topic" icon at the bottom of the message.
- Please be considerate and DO NOT send a personal message or email to a helper with your spyware issues. This forum is the approriate place for that.
- Please do not post your problems into other open logs saying "I have the same issue, here is my log" etc. This gets really confusing for everyone involved. Start a new thread.
- If the help you received resolved the problem - Please take a moment to reply to the thread saying that it was resolved. This lets that helper know that he/she used the correct procedures.
The recommended way is to click on “My Controls”, which you will see at the top of the screen when you log in. Under “Options” on the left hand side, click on “Email Settings”. Two things:
- Check off “Enable 'Email Notification' by default?” - This will automatically subscribe you to any topic you start or reply to. With this checked off, under “My Controls” and then on the left under “Subscriptions”, if you click on “View Topics” all the topics that you have replied to will be listed.
- Check off “Send a confirmation email when I receive a new private message” - Enabling this option will send an email confirmation of any new private messages sent to you.
There are hundreds of new spyware cases opened each day - Many people will get missesd and overlooked. To assist in cleaning up your system perform the following steps:
- Run either of these free online virus scans.[list]
- Scan with Malwarebytes AntiMalware
- How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= Please check this link for instructions on how to download, install and then use spybot. Run this as soon as possible as it may catch things that adaware misses.
- Can you please download HijackThis from this link, install it into C:\HJT. Run it, click on scan, save log and please post your entire log into a NEW message for analysis. If you are working on an existing topic, please post the log into that topic and do not start a new topic.
STEP 3 - Please do not "Bump" your post
Please do not bump your post, it will only delay service for your log. When selecting logs we generally use two criteria to look for unanswered logs.
- We started from the oldest to the most recent. That means if you keep bumping, your log is at the top of the list, and since we do not work from the top, it will be looked at last!!
- We look for first for posts with no replies. A bump is a reply so you get pushed further down the response ladder.
Edit to remove bad link...
Edit to update HijackThis links..
Edit to remove outdated tools -jedi
Edited by jedi, 11 September 2009 - 06:12 AM.