BIOS upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zastrozzi

zastrozzi

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:35 PM

hi all, not really sure if this is an acceptable place to post such a question but so many of you seem very knowledable in all areas of computing. I am having trouble with windows updates making my computer freeze up; something about illegal writes to i/o ports and the like. I have been searching on the web to find out any information on such happenings with other people's comps and have come up with the same solution each time: upgrade the bios, it is too old. Here is my bios info, if any of you can help in this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

BIOS Date: 01/17/01
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID: 01/17/2001-8363-686A-6A6LMAW9C
OEM Sign-On: S21MR02-C2
Chipset: VIA 82C305 rev 2
Superio: VIA 686 rev 34 found at port 7h
CPU: AMD Duron™ 700 Mhz MAX: 1500 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 256 MB
Memory Maximum: 512 MB
Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
Memory Slot 02: 0 MB
Memory Slot 03: 256 MB

#2 kazzoo

kazzoo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:58 PM

First and very important, you need to know who makes your motherboard and what model, version & rev it is.

I would suggest you go to the web page of the manufacturer of the PC or motherboard and check for a support area. Most have downloads to support upgrading bios versions.

Be ABSOLUTELY sure to get the correct file. A single revision difference can cause a dead or crippled board.

Is this a HP?

There was a compatability issue dealing with ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface ) Giving off this error

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Look familiar?

Edited by kazzoo, 25 May 2004 - 08:59 PM.

Badgers? I dont need no stinkin Badgers!

Spyware removal tools:
Prevent Spyware:Just how did I get Infected?
Online virus scanners:
Tools-Use Only when instructed:
How to:

#3 zastrozzi

zastrozzi

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:28 PM

yes the error looks familiar, my mobo was made by IBM with a via chipset. The machine was a pre configured netvista 2284. The bios is flashable and there is one on the ibm web site, however It is the same one i already have. on startup i see award modular bios v6.00pg

I just read that it is an issue with winxp and my bios. Where do i get a bios upgrade? is it possible to get one without paying for it ?

Edited by zastrozzi, 25 May 2004 - 09:58 PM.

#4 kazzoo

kazzoo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:32 AM

Take a look at this site from IBM concerning netvisa 2284

Bios versions

Run the tools provided there. Do you have the P8kt/P8jt02A?

Reason I ask is because of the latest release date is later than what you have now. If you dont have that version you now know where to get it.

You show 1/17/01 the newest from that site is 5/30/01

Read the installation instructions carefully, better yet print them out. There is a text file with each version.

Downloads for bios-upgrades are free from that site.

Spyware removal tools:
Online virus scanners:
How to:

#5 zastrozzi

zastrozzi

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 09:26 AM

ok i have flashed my bios with the one on that page, nothing has really changed and my cmos settings all stayed the same which is fine by me. thank you very much for pointing me to that site. Is that all i can do for no money down basically ? Or is it possible for me to find a newer bios, that flash upgrade after all is still 3 years old.

#6 kazzoo

kazzoo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

Probly as you know three years is a long time in the Computer industry. Hard to find any "maker" that doesnt move on and stop supporting "older" equiptment. It just is not in their best interest to spend resources that way. Better for them if you buy the new product.

Personally I had a heck of a time when upgrading my OS /bios on an older box a few years ago. Spent weeks finding new drivers to support hardware and applications. They were just not made for xp and had to use lots of "windows 2000" drivers that were not guaranteed to work. Yeah it limped along with errors, I didnt want to buy all new apps or hardware.

So what does this mean for you?

IBM's warranty was like one year for your particular machine. Getting information about just which motherboard your machine has in it will be the next step. From what I can gather IBM used a number of different boards and the only information is IBM's FRU (field replacement Unit) numbers. Most likely found in your user's manual. Once that is in hand you might be able to go to that boards mfg site and see what you can find.

A shot in the Dark...
Are you using a PCI/PCMIA card Adapter in this computer? Was some known issues with those as well.

Outlook?
You can do what you can do, clean install of OS, latest motherboard drivers, all of the patches. Final solution might be a different mother board. There is just something incompatable with the OS and that motherboard.

List of parts I found...
Netvista service parts

Edited by kazzoo, 26 May 2004 - 12:07 PM.

Spyware removal tools:
Online virus scanners:
How to:

#7 zastrozzi

zastrozzi

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

thank you very much for your time kazoo, it is greatly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button