Working in the Spyware Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 InTheSpace

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

Imagine working for a company that requires you to create spyware applications. Imagine if your whole job was to be the creator of some of this sleazy stuff and you had to help design, manage development and even secure distribution for your spyware application? What if even worse, your company chose to ignore a few laws even and start secretly installing applications on user's machines without them knowing. What can you do when you need your job? What can you do when blowing the whistle isnt an option because the legislation hasnt passed yet? Do you just suck it up and do your job, quit or do you start acting like a secret agent and reporting on their activities, secretly?

#2 ghost2003

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

You hide a picture of your boss in a speedo and threaten to make everyone infected see it unless he personaly cleans out every computer infected by it :p
But seriously, I would look for a better job, if they can hire you to do software like that you can get a job somewhere else. Just think of all the non-computer savvy people who will have no idea how to clean it or get help. Or atleast make the code non-destructive and esay to clean out.

#3 InTheSpace

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:05 PM

Thanks. Its just hard you know. The job market is tough right now. I'd hate to walk away too, and just hear about how they distributed this junk later (something that i helped build).

I just think I need to do something more...especially bc I know ALLOTT of the players in this industry. I hate this crap. Part of me wants to speak out and tell the world who is who. Not many people which company names are behind a lot of this garbage.

#4 Guest_Ghost_*

• Guests

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

I wouldn't want that resting on my soul...

#5 Mad Max

Mad Max

SWI Junkie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:17 AM

Be very careful. Been there done that.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Mad Max

#6 InTheSpace

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:44 PM

Yea, Ok. I guess I was (am) just upset. Maybe I can at least just start replying to people in this forum to help them uninstall some of the junk.

#7 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:47 PM

I would place the data on a USB keydrive, dress out of your normal outfits (flamboyantly or conservatively, given your tastes; go against them; use makeup if necessary), take it to a Kinko's or other public computer-using area that accepts _CASH_ (that's a big thing; _NEVER_ pay by plastic if you're doing anything illegal or debatablly so) on the other side of town, sanitize it (remove your name/address/any identifiable data that could incriminate you), then upload five copies of it to places - say, a free web provider, N-I, here, e-mail copies via Hotmail, and then mail the keydrive to Lavasoft or someone.

The more copies of the data that's out in the wild, the better. Just make sure you don't get traced - some companies use stuff like Spector to check who does what.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button