• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:13 AM

Can somebody recommend a good site and/or programs to test your firewall, ports, etc. to make sure your pc is fully secured. Thank you.

#2 websurfer45

Spyware Fighter

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 01:20 AM

I've used and highly recommend Shields Up - just click on the link below my signature. Shields Up and the two below will test your ports to ensure your firewall is working properly.

You can also try:

If you're looking for a security scan, Symantec has one, called Security Risk Scan at : http://security.syma...id=ie&venid=sym

Microsoft also has a free program for assessing your computer's security, called the Baseline Security Analyzer, which is at: http://www.microsoft...s/mbsahome.mspx
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Larry</span>

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." - Daniel Webster

" 'Twas red with the blood of freemen and white with the fear of the foe; And the stars that fit in their courses 'gainst tyrants its symbols know." - Julia Ward Howe in "The Flag"

Ad-Aware (Essential: adware removal tool)
Spybot Search & Destroy (Essential: spyware removal tool)
HijackThis (Troubleshooting scanner - do NOT delete/fix anything without being advised to by an expert here)
AVG (A great FREE Anti-virus program),
Zone Alarm (Essential: A GREAT FREE firewall)
Shields Up (On-line port scanner - tests if your firewall is protecting you)
Mozilla FireFox (a GREAT web browser; more secure than IE)

#3 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:29 AM

Sorry if this sound like a very noob question but when I tried to do alot of the firewall tests they say that I'm connected through an AOL proxy server and because of that they couldnt get my right IP address which will make this test useless(because it will test a computer other than mines). My question is how can I test my computer without this problem???What would I have to do, etc. Thank you

#4 Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:37 PM

Hi Jrshaw62

If you are with AOHell, as I understand it, unlike an ISP, which simply gives you access to the net, you don't have a direct connection to the internet. They provide the firewall/proxy system for you, so these scan sites cannot check your PC for open ports, only the proxy's. Not sure if it is at all possible to test the their proxy for open ports. Some OSP/ISP's block some ports and leave others open.

If you can't get round the problem, it may mean only alternative is to change Service Providers.

Edited by Freebird, 29 May 2004 - 05:40 PM.

We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#5 Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:01 AM

For inbound protection, I suppose you might have a TRUSTED friend scan you with various free network tools and report to you the results
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button