Unable to close Internet Explorer window

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtomalley

jtomalley

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:10 PM

I get an "error dink" noise when I try and close the IE window.

I have also noticed that when I go to the Task Manager to close IE, the CPU Usage is at 100% until I close IE, and then it drops back down to normal range. However, not all IE windows behave this way -- but the ones that do have this problem also seem to have limited function, such as the "tab" key won't work for jumping from link to link or text box to text box.

This all started when my Webroot Spysweeper detected something called "TVmedia" on my PC. It was a problem to get rid of, as well -- I had to run Spysweep while my PC was in safe mode to finally get rid of all the traces and the TVmedia folder (in "Programs") before it was finally gone. Otherwise, Spysweep simply kept detecting it was there, ran through its sweep, and then when I rebooted, it was still there.

But after this little fiasco ended, I started having the problem with IE. I've reinstalled IE, reinstalled Windows 2000, went to Windows Update to make sure I had all of the most recent patches, uninstalled Pop-Up Stopper, but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions...?
JT

#2 Acsell

Acsell

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:04 PM

Try this-

Tools->Internet Options
Select the Advanced Tab
Find and uncheck the option labeled "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
Click OK.
Close Down all open Instances of Internet Explorer.
ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals - Proud Member Since 2004
HJTHotkey - HijackThis Tutorial (Unofficial) - GetFiles
Autohotkey - Automation. Hotkeys and Scripting - Mozilla Firefox

#3 neinta

neinta

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:08 AM

Maybe this was just my computer but spysweeper used to limit my IE windows. I had similar problems until I switched from spysweeper to adaware and spybot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button