Recommended Software?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tortoise

Tortoise

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:16 PM

There is so much stuff out there, including this list: http://www.spywarein...ads.php?cat=all

How do I know what is best to use? What combination of things will protect me? Right now I have Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper (no subscription), CWShredder. I would be happy to pay for software, but what is the best one, and what do I really NEED? I am pretty overwhelmed trying to figure all this out.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Laura/Tortoise

#2 discogail

discogail

"All you need is a gorilla and a dream"

• Emeritus
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

Start here-->
Stop IE hijacking before it happens

This will help you with your browser settings...for increased security...& provide a link to Spywareblaster........a free...brilliant program by the heroic Javacool.

#3 raven26

raven26

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:48 AM

If I'm reading infor right on IEspyad, it seems a little trickier to install and uninstall or does it just mouse click and it's done. Reason I'm asking is i have Nortons installed. <_<

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:47 PM

It's very simple to install. Two clicks, then a click on the "Yes" button.

Same to uninstall.

I'd delete CWShredder and only download/use it when you are sure you need it - outdated versions won't do you any good.

I also recommend Grisoft AVG in place of Norton. It's free - for a lifetime - and there's a link in my signature.

Get and use a firewall. ZoneAlarm works nicely. There's a link to the "download the free version" page in my signature.

In my opinion, Norton is junk. It takes up too much resources, carps left and right, and just isn't as good as it used to be - plus there's the fee for new definitions after a year.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#5 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:38 AM

Hi Tuxedo Jack, I have heard you mention Grisoft AVG before but for us who have never heard of it. What has it got that Norton doesnt?. I have Norton Internet security 2004 and apart from a few teething problems early on not many probs. But I am curious. Norton puts everything into one package which makes it easier.
Member of ASAP

#6 nateface

nateface

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:37 AM

Yes, Norton does put it all in one little package all nice and neat. BUT, it is a
huge resource hog. I couldn't believe the speed I got back after uninstalling
it and using other programs. As for the Grisoft AVG, I don't use that, so I'm
not sure how quickly it is to learn, but the people on this board would not
recommend it if it took a rocket scientist to use it. That's the beauty of this
board, everybody wants to make life a lot easier and better for all other
computer users! It's almost like an Eden for computer users......(cue dream
sequence music) Anyhoo, I use Avast anti-virus which is really easy to use.
It may take you a few uses to get familiar with and comfortable with other
programs that are recommended in this forum, but in the long run, they are
much better and use less resources.

#7 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:59 AM

Yes this a great site :D , but a bit addictve. Since finding this site I now run Ad-Aware, Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, Spybot 1.3 and IE-SPYAD.
I now feel reasonably well protected, but not complacent. I agree with several members of this site who say that you can't have too much protection.
But after reading several threads I am now considering Separate firewall, anti-virus programs etc. but that will not be until May next year when my Norton subscription runs out. I am just unsure about the compatibility issue with running so many security programmes, at least with Norton they take care of a large slice of the action.
Member of ASAP

#8 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 12:28 AM

Grisoft is dead easy to use. Install it, reboot, then click through the updater, ignore the rescue disk function, then close the main window, and it's up and running.

It'll auto-update and auto-scan once every 24 hours for you. It's kind of a set-it-and-forget-it thing.

#9 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 06:55 AM

Hi again,
It sounds easy to use. But if I used that does that mean that I would still need firewall, parental control, adblocker, anti-spam, script blocker and anyting else as separate items from different suppliers?. Sorry if it seems a stupid question, but I have just been woken up about security and it does not seem as straight forward as I always imagined it would be.
Member of ASAP

#10 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:28 AM

You would indeed need a firewall.

ZoneAlarm is simple to use and free; the link in my signature takes you directly to the download page. When you install and it asks for an e-mail address, just put notgonna@getit.com in.

Most reputable ISPs offer server-side antispam measures. If that doesn't work, Mailwasher (http://www.mailwasher.com) is quite nice, and it can learn from spam to stop more spam.

Antivirus auto-protect measures stop malicious scripts from loading; not using IE is a secondary security measure for that.

Firefox is its own ad-blocker; just right-click on an image and choose "Block Images from..." and poof, no more ads except for the annoying Flash ads - but the Flash plugin isn't installed with Firefox, so you won't see them until you install Flash.

Don't know why you'd need parental controls, and I don't support or use them, so I can't really help you there. Besides, Peacefire.org tells anyone who goes there how to kill most of that genre of software permanently.

#11 pfofit

pfofit

It's raining spyware.

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:21 AM

TJ

ignore the rescue disk function

I'm not so sure about that .

I cleaned and set up an individuals unit, along with Avg.

Call me a few weeks later that one of her kiddies brought home a buddys disk with some "stuff", stuck it in the drive and "it shut the computer down and now the thing won't startup".

I told her to dig out the Avg rescue disks and run a scan from it. She called me back later and said it found something, fixed it and now it works fine. She got her latest AVG update and scanned again in windows, along with spybot etc. that I left in an antispyware folder (trained her well). and then took a strip off of junior.

I wasn't there, so do not know all the details and what transpired. Except that she now has faith in AVG and the rescue disk function.

Saved me a trip. :)

Edited by pfofit, 20 May 2004 - 09:23 AM.

#12 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for the information. The Grisoft AVG sounds good but I will wait untill my subscription with Norton runs out. This is a great place to learn stuff :rolleyes: Thanks very much for the help.
Member of ASAP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button