Photo

Anyone have an internet connection preference?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Muriel

Muriel

scholar of crapware's demise

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm researching getting a new system (probably a laptop, but maybe not), and have decided to use Opera as the browser when I get it. However,

What, in your opinion, would be the most practical internet service to use with Opera? I've had my fill of Aol, and am leary of any that "provide" their own browser. I read Mike's suggestion about getting rid of IE a while back, but don't remember there being a suggested connection service to use.

Anyone have a preference?

#2 Freebird

Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:16 PM

I think which ISP you use really depends on your surfing needs, rather than your browser choice. If you are online for extended periods each day, then a broadband service would probably be the most time and cost effective and probably be far cheaper in the long run than dial up. I think you need to shop around to see who provides you with the service that really suits your need and your pocket

There are many ISP's to choose from, it really depends on which country you are in. As for browsers, I dislike IE because of the immense range of vulnabilities it is prone to, I use Opera occasionally, but now use Firefox as my browser of preference as it hassle free - actually, there is no reason not to have more than 1 browser installed.

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by Freebird, 28 May 2004 - 07:18 PM.

We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#3 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

I would stay away from AOL, Juno, Netzero, Prodigy etc. These ISPs all try to manage your internet through their software. No ISP software is necessary for an internet connection. You pay your bill, connect to their servers and use your own software.

If it's available in your area, go with Speakeasy DSL. Fast, reliable speeds and they remember that the customer is the one paying their salaries and paying for their equipment. A lot of ISPs forget that fact.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:49 PM

Speakeasy's beautiful.

I use SBC myself along with a router to maintain my PPPoE connection. You won't even have to install anything off their CD; you just need your username and password. Insert that into the router, and you're off and running with a permanent conenction.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button