Spywareguard

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 superbratkidde

superbratkidde

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:33 PM

I just want to know is there anoybody out there that's using spywareguard. you it's a real time spyware preventer. It tells you if your homepage is being changed, or a Browser Help Object (BHO) has been installed then it'll ask you if you want to keep it or remove it. I think it's really great had it for 6+ mnoths now and haven't had much attack.

#2 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 10:07 AM

Of course, the critical question is do you need it now that you have spybot's teatimer?
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#3 OldGuy

OldGuy

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:51 AM

I use Spywarwe Guard and like it.

Also have Spybot S & D but have not enabled teatimer yet. Is it any better ?

#4 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:27 AM

Beats me, since very little info is available on spywareguard/
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#5 SpywareDestroyer

SpywareDestroyer

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:33 PM

SpywareGuard is good but don't use Spybot's teatimer at the same time as it, for obvious reasons.

#6 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

I used to have SpywareGuard, but even before TeaTimer came out, I decided to disable SG, due to its voracious appetite of resource.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#7 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:51 PM

I'm using both SpywareGuard and Spybot's Tea-Timer on two machines (one running Win XP Home & the other 98 SE) with no problem at all...

Resources are a bit of an issue on the 98 SE, but not so serious as to make me disable one or the other application. I don't use this PC for anything more serious than working in M$ Word and beta-testing a few progs anyway. :)

R.
I am the iron anchor.

#8 TruthisthatAAOT

TruthisthatAAOT

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:11 AM

I use it, except I havent noticed any updates for it in awhile? Doesn't it need to have updated detections like spybot and AAW?

Edited by TruthisthatAAOT, 30 May 2004 - 01:11 AM.

#9 Guest_BoOchan_*

Guest_BoOchan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:25 AM

I would not recommend using it over Spybot's New TeaTimer, because it's definitions have not being updated in just over 4 months.

#10 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:02 AM

SpywareGuard's detections are based on Heuristics, which means it's programmed to "guess" whether something is potentially malicious and doesn't depend exclusively on its existing database. That's why it doesn't need to be updated as often.

Still, about five months now is quite a long time... :huh:

AND the smilies are back! Yay!! ;)

Best,
R. :)
I am the iron anchor.

#11 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:25 AM

I use both Spyware Blaster and Guard with Spybot 1.3's Teatimer feature. All run together without a problem and gives good proctection against Spyware. One thing i like about SpywareBlaster is it blocks most of the spy/tracking cookies. B4 SB my ad-aware would pick up about 10 tracking cookies a day..now its like 2 tracking cookies a week. Great programs.

#12 TruthisthatAAOT

TruthisthatAAOT

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:46 AM

SpywareGuard's detections are based on Heuristics, which means it's programmed to "guess" whether something is potentially malicious and doesn't depend exclusively on its existing database. That's why it doesn't need to be updated as often.

Oh ok thanks for the info :D

#13 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:56 AM

You're most welcome. :)

R. :wave:

PS - ALL the smilies have returned! :thumbsup:
I am the iron anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic