• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:28 PM

....If anyone is interested in where the spyware products stand in the ratings right now check the link out.

http://www.anti-spyw...tenreviews.com/

-Hydroponic Garden
Incens'd with indignation He stood Unterrified, and like a comet burn'd, That fires the length of Ophiucus huge In th' artic sky, and from his horrid hair Shakes pestilence and war.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,369 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:33 PM

Please be aware that those reviews are bogus... Several of those "anti-spyware" programs are featured on the list of Rogue anti-spyware programs....

Look here for the list:

http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:25 PM

Bogus? LOL.... http://www.toptenrev...m/about-us.html <tells about the people behind them "Bogus" reviews. I honestly believe that site you mentioned is Bogus, I don't know much about the site of course, but since I've used some of the products listed on toptenreviews.com, including virus and firewall software, you can guess which I'll lean to. Sorry bud, but until I have PC problems I'll take my own advice.

-Hydroponic Garden
Incens'd with indignation He stood Unterrified, and like a comet burn'd, That fires the length of Ophiucus huge In th' artic sky, and from his horrid hair Shakes pestilence and war.

#4 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:36 PM

Welcome to the forum Hydroponic Garden. Since you just joined this morning and have already made 20 posts -- I guess everyone here should disregard the help and advice they have gotten here for the past 2-3 years and take your humble opinion as sage advice.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,369 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:39 PM

You are certainly welcome to take your own advice... That said, as a new person on this forum who has not established any credibility to direct people to sites that offer extremely dubious advice about programs that have been established to be ripoffs by a site that most experts here consider to be extremely credible, you make all of your advice suspect...

I suggest you learn a bit more about the programs and issues you are trying to address before you give out more bad advice... The fact that you personally had a positive or a negative experience with a particular program does not establish it as a good or bad one...

To everyone else... Please be very cautious about the programs endorsed on that rating site and please check the Rogue list before using them... There are some legit programs on that list, but I suggest following the suggestions here before using that list...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:26 AM

First to "wreck".... the comment was unnecessary as it was stupid and I'm not going to waste my time commenting further on your poven immaturity. Moving on..... to budfred.....

"You are certainly welcome to take your own advice... That said, as a new person on this forum who has not established any credibility to direct people to sites that offer extremely dubious advice about programs that have been established to be ripoffs by a site that most experts here consider to be extremely credible, you make all of your advice suspect...

I suggest you learn a bit more about the programs and issues you are trying to address before you give out more bad advice... The fact that you personally had a positive or a negative experience with a particular program does not establish it as a good or bad one...

To everyone else... Please be very cautious about the programs endorsed on that rating site and please check the Rogue list before using them... There are some legit programs on that list, but I suggest following the suggestions here before using that list..."

I needed to quote so I could take your comments apart bit by bit. First off, I know I have the right to take my own advice, I never claimed my advice was from buddha, but that from my personal experience I've not had any spyware type issues.... so I have to be doing SOMETHING right. Isn't that what the point of this site is? To find out info about spyware and what works to get rid of that? or did you forget that part since you've been here a while and your ego is massive? Also, you suggest I learn a bit about the products? Coming from a guy who takes his advice from another website that's kind of hypocritical... my point wasn't to put you down, but that products I've used PERSONALLY have been FINE. AND, to top it off, I never claimed I was right about this, I said merely that from my experience I've had no problems..... And about you saying, "The fact that you personally had a positive or a negative experience with a particular program does not establish it as a good or bad one..." I'm sorry, but I have mentioned my dislike for spybot S&D, HOWEVER, in my posts I have said that it is my OWN personal experience and it may not be the same for others (paraphrased). Pay ATTENTION when you plan to criticize someone, bud.

-Hydroponic Garden

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,369 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:53 AM

Hydroponic Garden,

You seem to be very invested in dismissing opinions counter to your own as immature or ego driven... My point is that you lack credibility and your comments in this and other topics seem to reinforce that you are not qualified to address these issues.... I understand that you are speaking from personal experience and therefore you have the credibility of your own experience... I have no way to know if it is true that you have had no problem with malware, I have heard that assertion a number of times only to find out that they person's computer is riddled with malware... I do know that you are endorsing some good products, but that you are also directing people to bad advice and you are urging people to avoid a tool that we use for dozens of people every day without difficulty and with considerable positive outcome...

Please note that personal attacks are not tolerated in this forum and you are very close to the line in that regard...
Budfred

#8 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:15 AM

Don't take me out of context, been no personal attacks. If you happen to take me personally then that is by your own flaws.... I cleared this issue up on the forum though "Clearing up"... or whatever I put lol....anyway, this is fun, so.... who you voting for? (Now that's an argument WAY off topic LOL)... ......

-Hydroponic Garden (Conservative, Republican)

#9 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:39 AM

Hydroponic Garden; with all due respect, you are missing the whole point in what Budfred is trying to tell you. This site welcomes opinions of all kind, but it is the responsibility of the Moderators (and other TRUSTED ADVISORS) to point out potentially wrong or misinformed advice from MEMBERS that they do not know or trust. This site has proceedure to follow so that anyone can gain that trust. Until you do, don't be offended if someone warns others of said questionable advice.
Please look at this thread to give you an idea of who is offering sage advice here:
http://www.spywarein...p?showtopic=148
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#10 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:50 PM

It's amazing to me how you butt in Wreck, but, somehow you fail to realize my point. This came about with me showing my dislike for Spybot S&D, I never ONCE gave "advice"... the only reason you brought that up is because my comment, "I'll take my own advice"... but I haven't offered advice to anyone about anything in paticular... so pay attention before you make a fool of yourself attempting to lecture me. About the top ten review site: I didn't tell anyone to download from it, I never claimed it was buddha's messege to us putting us in a zen like state.... I just thought it be interesting for people to check out.... and then they can make their own opinions.... anyway, also forums have to be somewhat fun.... and I'm having fun with Bud so it's all good.

-Hydroponic Garden

#11 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:00 PM

Bogus? LOL.... http://www.toptenrev...m/about-us.html <tells about the people behind them "Bogus" reviews. I honestly believe that site you mentioned is Bogus, I don't know much about the site of course, but since I've used some of the products listed on toptenreviews.com, including virus and firewall software, you can guess which I'll lean to. Sorry bud, but until I have PC problems I'll take my own advice.

-Hydroponic Garden

It's amazing to me how you butt in Wreck, but, somehow you fail to realize my point. This came about with me showing my dislike for Spybot S&D, I never ONCE gave "advice"... the only reason you brought that up is because my comment, "I'll take my own advice"... but I haven't offered advice to anyone about anything in paticular... so pay attention before you make a fool of yourself attempting to lecture me. About the top ten review site: I didn't tell anyone to download from it, I never claimed it was buddha's messege to us putting us in a zen like state.... I just thought it be interesting for people to check out.... and then they can make their own opinions.... anyway, also forums have to be somewhat fun.... and I'm having fun with Bud so it's all good.

The whole purpose of your post is to give advice!
Budfred is a MODERATOR who's job it is to correct arrogant, mis-informed opinions such as yours. I know you read the link I provided above. A little respect for those who have earned it such as Budfred.

Edited by wreck, 22 September 2004 - 01:02 PM.

#12 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 01:23 PM

LOL.... okay okay, first, where the advice was in my post I must have missed, yes it's a link leading to the people giving reviews of the top ten products, and I mentioned my taking my own advice.... but I don't recall specifically giving a person advice... Also, how do you figure I'm arrogant? maybe misinformed.... but then I never claimed that the top ten reviews was 100% true I just said I was skeptical about Bud's Link.... and that since I'm handling my PC well I'd take my own advice, I said I respected the peoples running the site... or whatever, but I'm very opinionated.... and open minded. Now let's all smile and meditate my zen master friends.

-Hydroponic Garden

#13 SirPeter

SirPeter

Hugging kitties

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

Budfred link about rogue antispyware is a link thats to be trusted.
People from the Spyware warriors forum are to be trusted like the people from the SWI forums. Many helpers from this forum are also on the spyware warriors forum.

The top 10 reviews isn't accurate either. For example if you look at the review of ad-aware you read:

Help/Support:Posted Image   
There is an excellent FAQs page on the website.  There is also an in-depth Help file, complete with graphics that will explain some of the product's features.  If all else fails there is an email support option.

Our experience with technical support, however, has been less than desirable. In fact, we've reviewed hundreds of products in all categories and this is about the worst support we have seen. We've either been ignored or the answers to questions took much longer than they should have.

The reviewers did not mention that Lavasofts forum is one of the best forums of all those reviewed anti-spyware software. The forum should have compensated the supposidly bad email helpdesk.

Edited by SirPeter, 22 September 2004 - 02:52 PM.

Cute kitties rule the world

#14 mikey

mikey

Advanced Member

• Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:20 PM

I would point out that sites like the one this topic is about are affiliate sites that intend to make a profit on folk's ignorance with their scam products.

Eric(the author of the rogues list) is a LONG term & respected member of the pri/sec community and derives no monetary gain from his tireless efforts to bring light to a very dim net. You will notice that ALL references on the rogues list are documented. There is NO documentation on the site of topic.

HG, While I'm sure that my opinion means as little to you as anyone elses, I have personally tested some of the products from that page and found them not only to not be adequate to the task intended but also complete frauds.

Please remember that many of the folks here are reknown throughout the industry as professionals & experts in the field. You use words like 'immaturity' to describe folks who don't agree with you even tho they have the credentials to proove themselves. IMO that is immaturity.

It is obvious to me and probably to most here that you either don't have a clue or you are personally involved with the scam site of topic. It also appears to me that your post was a simple spam of this board.

Spamming of any kind is not allowed here. I'm pretty certain that spam from known scams is not tollerated at all and is probably cause for banning.

#15 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

That same site actually offers (commercial) spyware for sale:
http://www.spyware-review.com/
Want to buy a keylogger? :gasp:
Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#16 suzi

suzi

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:23 AM

The site Hydroponic Garden posted is on the Rogue/Suspect Sites list here:

http://www.spywarewa...yware.htm#sites

Eric Howes made these comments:

advertising/marketing front for products reviewed (1, 2)

The numbers are links for reference.

If you hover your cursor over the "buy now" link under each product listed in the reviews, you can see the affiliate ID. It's very obvious that the site is affiliated with each of those products. I have a screenshot of this but can't upload it to the board. Here's the link:

http://www.spywarewa...pub/review1.jpg

Notice the alt text that says "buy SpyHunter from the manufacturer", then notice the URL in the status bar at the bottom of the pic. That shows the affiliate ID so the company knows who to credit for that hit or that sale.

So the question is - can the reviews be unbiased when the reviewer has a financial interest in the products being reviewed? I think not.

I just blogged about this subject a few days ago:

http://netrn.net/spy...software-sites/
Spyware Warrior
Microsoft MVP 2005-2009 Windows - Security

#17 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:21 AM

Yes, Budfred told me that... and I never claimed that I was right, but that I had to know for sure if it was true. It's like if you think something is true, then someone tells you it's not true... it may take more than, "I've been here longer than you so I know more"... well at least for myself.

-Hydroponic Garden

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!