• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeonWizard

First known 64 bit virus

7 posts in this topic

Security technology company Symantec reported Thursday that it has analyzed what it believes to be the first known threat to 64-bit Windows systems, a virus labeled W64.Rugrat.3344.

Representatives at the Cupertino, Calif.-based company were quick to point out that the threat was merely a so-called proof-of-concept virus--a worm developed by someone to show that vulnerabilities are present in a particular type of system--and not a virus already spreading in the wild. However, Oliver Friedrichs, senior manager of Symantec's Security Response Team, said W64.Rugrat.3344 can attack 64-bit Microsoft Windows files successfully. He said the virus does not infect 32-bit files and will not run on 32-bit Windows systems.

Since 64-bit systems have yet to proliferate widely, Symantec maintains that the virus does not yet represent a serious threat.

"We always see early adopters trying to find a way to attack new technology right away, as we did with 32-bit, so it's not surprising to see this," Friedrichs said. "But we do expect to see more of these, as 64-bit technology becomes more prominent."

Read Article

It would make sense; 64-bit machines have more processing power and therefore are more valuable to their botnets and "distributed computing networks" than common 32-bit machines.

Could someone clarify me as to whats the difference?

I dont personaly know that difference.

They're different CPU architectures.

64-bit allows the machine to address more memory and hard drive space; 32-bit allows it to access less.

64-bit's max RAM capacity is something like 8GB, I think; check with Apple.

8GB ram!! WOW!

I am extremely impressed! I wish I could change the one in my laptop, but unfortunatly its a rental, and I still have 1 year with it, until I get my new rental.