• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reedprigmore

reedprigmore

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:00 AM

Hi Guys!

Just a quick question about this site/tool. A collegue was pointed to this site for a popup blocker and is currently testing it out. He thinks it's wonderful. However, my quick search through Google, Alta Vista and the forums lead me to believe this is actually something different.

Does anyone have a complete, or at least better than I've got, answer to this one? My boss is currently listening to me on the issue but is being swayed by my collegue's insistence on this being the "ultimate tool" to all the popup problems.

Ideally, a link to specifics would be good but any additional information on these guys would be helpful.

Thanks for letting me bug you.

BTW--I know better and fight these things with the correct tools company wide.

#2 Guest_BoOchan_*

Guest_BoOchan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:45 AM

It Seems to be bad from this in there Terms & Conditions:

In the performance of the search re-direction function, the user may be directed to a search page operated by Linkz Internet Services or its affiliates. In such an instance the web server may maintain customary records of the user.s IP address, the date and time of access, and will record the search query made by the user for the purpose of generating aggregate search statistics.

The AD-BLOCK error page search function may provide the user to links to web sites operated by other parties. These linked web sites are not under the control of Linkz Internet Services, and Linkz Internet Services is not responsible for the content available on any other Internet sites so linked.

Additionally, Linkz Internet Services may require the update or automatic distribution of AD-BLOCK on your computer when a new version of AD-BLOCK is released to the general public, and/or when new features are available.

Those 3 Statements are bad to me...

#3 CES

CES

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 06:46 PM

IT'S AFFILIATED WITH THE COOLWEBSEARCH CARTEL - DO NOT USE IT!!!!!!!

Edited by CES, 10 June 2004 - 06:48 PM.

#4 linkz.com

linkz.com

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hi Guys, We're the folks who created Adblock.com. We did a Google search on our name, found this forum and thought we'd post a reply to this thread to provide some clarity. Adblock.com is NOT spyware, that is we don't log or monitor anything; nor do we serve pop-ups. We created the program to block the ads that were a pain in our collective buts and when we realised how good it was we decided to distribute it for free online. Rather than ask for donations to fund distribution of the tool we decided to replace the 404 error page people get when typing an incorrect address with an error page powered by Yahoo with whom we split advertising revenue on bidded searches. We disclose that in the first sentences of our terms. The experience and resulting search results are nearly identical to those you would get on Internet Explorer's error search box. The idea being that the experience isn't in your face, but we get a revenue trickle to cover bandwidth. We really created this thing with the best of intentions, the auto-update disclosure was to cover our buts and fix anything we might have designed wrong. Anyway, the neat thing about Adblock is that the whole thing can be completely removed at your discretion, and your old settings restored if you don't like it. No funny biz.

Regarding that post CES made.. I can asure everyone we are not affiliated with anyone.

If anyone has other questions they can email the admin email on linkz.com's whois record and ask. (We won't post the addy to avoid the address getting mined by an email harvester)

Thanks for letting me post.

Adblock.com
Linkz Internet Services.
Grand Cayman

Edited by linkz.com, 25 June 2004 - 10:10 AM.

#5 LansOperator

LansOperator

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:54 PM

Um... Free Surfer is a totally free popup/ad blocker that has no form of ad/spyware. I use this for all of my computers when I run IE... otherwise I'd just get Firefox... built in popup blocker, nice download client and much more... check them out...

Edited by LansOperator, 15 August 2004 - 11:55 PM.

#6 deerfern

deerfern

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi Guys, We're the folks who created Adblock.com. We did a Google search on our name, found this forum and thought we'd post a reply to this thread to provide some clarity. Adblock.com is NOT spyware, that is we don't log or monitor anything; nor do we serve pop-ups.

That's very interesting. I just installed a new fresh full install (non upgrade) copy of Vista on my computer, two days ago. Today, I was looking for domains to purchase, so I typed in various domains. If it doesn't exist, I now get sent to Linkz.com. I wasn't asked or advised of any installation of your product, nor was I advised it was installing itself. I realize now this is because I ended up on a webpage that had "linkz.com" banner in the right corner. However, I did not download or install it.

So since I've never heard of you, but you obviously want to know all about me, I did a check on line to see what the heck happened to my 'puter. What comes up is this, from Symantec:

http://www.symantec....-040517-3954-99

Is that what you consider

the neat thing about Adblock is that the whole thing can be completely removed at your discretion, and your old settings restored if you don't like it. No funny biz.

Funny, I'm not laughing.

Then you say

If anyone has other questions they can email the admin email on linkz.com's whois record and ask. (We won't post the addy to avoid the address getting mined by an email harvester)

Most people don't know how to check the whois record for your admin email, and you certainly don't show any contact details or privacy statement at either website, linkz.com or adblock.com. And oh, one more thing .... there ARE Pop-Ups on your site, thankfully my real popup blocker stopped them.

So I guess you're right, as you said, "no funny biz here", because it's not very funny to me!!

Carol D.

Edited by deerfern, 10 June 2007 - 03:38 PM.

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,305 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

deerfern,

The last post in this topic is almost 3 years old and it is a long dead issue... These people are sleazy, but they are not watching this topic anymore...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button