Start up problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gtswhitt

gtswhitt

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 11:11 PM

I read the old forum under Start Programs, but really don't understand what I can do about a start up entry that's blank under msconfig/startup. There's no name and no command. Just Registry[machine run] under "loaded from".

Many times I've used selective startup but have purposefully left that one to start, since I wasn't sure what it was, but now I'm reading that it may be a problem.

What is it that I am to do? Is there a program to clean this up? I saw something about "start list" http://www.spywarein...startup#startup but the page cannot be displayed http://www.merijn.or...startuplist.zip and then I read about a server being busy. But I'm unsure if I'm even checking the right place since the original posts under Start Programs on SWI did not mention a program to use and assumes I know that tidbit of information, but I don't. Any hints at what the old server discussion Start Programs is talking about? That list has names, but nothing about something that's blank or really what to do about it.

Also, I just deleted about 10GB of odds and ends form my computer and there's a bunch of registry items to those softwares still there. I know nothing about registry fixing, so I don't touch it. Is there something (preferably free, but doubtful) to get rid of all that, that will actually work really well? I ran the old microsoft registry cleaner and it didn't say what it was doing, but I let it run and then had to use system restore in WinME since my computer acted up after that.

Another thing, is there something running that a user wouldn't know about when we do cntrl-alt-del on all running tasks and try do a scan disk that says it's restarted 10 times because something's running in the background and there's nothing but explorer and systray left there? What is it that keeps running on machines that we can't "see?" Will any of this forum's discussion here clear that up.

So that's three issues to solve on one thread. I was told that's alright to do and is preferred that way.

Baby steps please.

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

On you first question, the program you were looking for is Hijack this . Download, unzip and run it. Click the "scan" button.
When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, do Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Your third point about defrag is that there are several things running, depending on your version of Windows, and the installed software that do not necessarily show up in task manager. To stop them, reboot into safe mode and run drfrag that way.

Hope that helps
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 gtswhitt

gtswhitt

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:41 AM

The defrag part does, but your first point about hijackthis is not what I'm looking for. I've already done that on the Malware forum. This I'm talking about Pacman's Start Up forum.

#4 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:51 PM

If I may jump in, about your 2nd point, I warmly recommend a program called EasyCleaner v.2, it has a myriad of tools, including a most excellent registry cleaner.
It does the job in a safe way, compared to some more aggressive cleaners out there. And it's freeware too ! :D
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#5 gtswhitt

gtswhitt

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

Cool. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button