running anti-spyware programs in xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lenny323

lenny323

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:59 PM

using xp home edition on new dell 4600, 6 weeks old. set for 3 users; all have admim. priviledges

using norton av 2004, adaware, spybot 1.3, & spyblaster.

having some spyware problems, & i've been scanning. it seems that if i scan each user seperately, different items are found on each user, in the adaware & spybot. i also had to configure spyblaster in each user. then what comes to mind is what about cwshredder?

should seperate scans be performed from each users desktop?

thank you, len kiesling

#2 thyme

thyme

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:18 AM

Hi lenny323

There are 4 users on our computer (xp), and i have to run spybot,cwshredder on each desktop. The only thing i don't do seperatley is my norton av. I dont think there is any way round this. Is good practise here for everyone to keep their desktops clean.

#3 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:04 AM

I never thought about doing separate scans on different accounts. 3 on my PC, and Ad-Aware finds problems across the board not just mine, I will try this and see if it makes a difference. I had to configure spywareblaster on the other accounts though.
Member of ASAP

#4 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:37 AM

Thank you Lenny 323 for the suggestion, I ran Spybot on the other settings. And sure enough the bugs were their, not now though.
That is what I like about this site, the small but crucial gems of info that get handed around.
Member of ASAP

#5 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:50 PM

I don't think you should need it for separate acounts unless they're not running with root. If Ad-Aware runs as root, it sees all, knows all, and can kill all, so it shouldn't have issues with NTFS file permissions.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#6 jasper

jasper

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:29 AM

I was surprised by Lenny's suggestion, as Ad-Aware scans everything I assumed Spybot would. But is it possible to make it do that?
PS. Tuxedo Jack why only consider suing Outhost for their strain of CWS. Shooting might be a better solution, they might all get the message then, I suppose that might be a bit extreme though.
Member of ASAP

#7 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:19 AM

Spybot may handle NTFS permissions differently than Ad-Aware; I don't know about that. If it does, that's something to consider asking PepiMK to check on redoing for 1.4.

And I only want to sue because that'll drag the rats into the sunlight and expose their unethical practices.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#8 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

Link to Spybot forum is in my signature.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button