Broken TCP/IP stack...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 celerityfm

celerityfm

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:59 PM

Hey guys-- can anyone link to me or give me some clues as to what this little utitility I'm seeking is-- bascially some spyware can infect/adjust your tcp/ip stack somehow and my bud's computer (which I don't have access to right now) has this problem, wanted to throw the software on a disk and try it out.. I believe the program begins with the letter L

Sorry to be so osbcure!

Thanks

#2 Starwaves

Starwaves

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:35 PM

I think what your referring to is the winsock LSP connection that is hijacked by spyware to connect to the internet and report back their spy data. In that case they add their own winsock.dll file which if it becomes corrupted or deleted you lose your internet connection,

The program fix for that situation is:
LSPFIX.EXE Winsock Restore

Go to their website, see if that sounds familiar and download the appropriate fix for your version of windows,

----->

The other side of this are the actual TCP/IP protocols which some internet software likes to fiddle with, or it has been corrupted and doesn't respond. If your OS is windows XP, you can reset the TCP protocols with this command;

Click the Start button, then elect 'run', now type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Search for c:\resetlog.txt to see what changes existed and make a note of it,

This will rewrite the TCP/IP registry keys.

If the computer is 95/98 you would have to reinstall the TCP/IP protocols: Reinstall TCP/IP Protocols

Hope this helps,

;)

Edited by Starwaves, 30 May 2004 - 11:51 PM.

#3 celerityfm

celerityfm

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:46 PM

Yess!! That was the one! THANK YOU!

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:51 PM

Improper use of LspFix can destroy your internet connection.
Let's see what needs fixing.

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.spywarein.../HijackThis.exe
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#5 celerityfm

celerityfm

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:32 AM

Sorry for the late late late reply, basically I wanted to use the program to see if it would prevent what we ended up doing anyways: reinstalling windows because of corrupt files. Unfortunately it wasn't from adware/spyware so it couldn't be prevented.

I appreciate your help though!

#6 celerityfm

celerityfm

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:36 AM

But damn I didn't mean to bump the post.. oh well I have a good reason though anyways-- I'm looking for a program I saw linked on here that is similar to process explorer in nature but is actually designed with spyware in mind, it tries to find programs that have hidden rogue executables hiding behind them in memory...

any takers?

#7 celerityfm

celerityfm

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 02:42 PM

I figured out what program it was, Advanced Process Manipulation available here http://www.diamondcs...ex.php?page=apm.

Add that plus Process Explorer http://www.sysintern...e/procexp.shtml and you've got a tall drink :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button