• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpywareDestroyer

Best Firewall?

Which firewall do you use?   166 members have voted

1. 1. Which firewall do you use?

• Zonealarm
    • Sygate
    • Kerio
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

93 posts in this topic

The "best" firewall is the one that suits you and your preferences.

However, the ultimate firewall is pictured!

post-29-1086033078.jpg

I use Kerio: I've used all of the others listed there and Kerio is by far the best (for me, anyway) just the ease of crating rules and restrictions, and its more of a set-it-and-forget-it than the others, IMO.

I use an ancient build of ZoneAlarm, but what I really like is my hardware firewall - I have a router sitting on my connection, and (luck willing) soon I'll have a surplused AIX box from my office as a firewall.

Kerio 2.15 is the only firewall I can stand anymore. Light, easy to manage and highly configurable. The 4.x versions are just bloated as hell and oversimplified.

Outpost Pro 2.1 loaded with all IP blocklists from Bluetack forum..

I use sygate for some time now.Read some test a few months ago and it came out very nicely.

Since then I've been using it and works just fine

I have a Netgear FVS328 router and Symantec/Norton Internet Security. I like the fact that Symantec does regular updates. Is there a reason why Symantec was not listed on the answers bullets? I thought that it was a major player in the consumer sector.

Does Symantec firewall have some flaw I should be aware of?

Cheers,

Edited by vstrom

I have a Netgear FVS328 router and Symantec/Norton Internet Security. I like the fact that Symantec does regular updates. Is there a reason why Symantec was not listed on the answers bullets? I thought that it was a major player in the consumer sector.

Cheers,

Only one major one I'm aware of

google for sygate loopback problem etc.

Unless they fixed it, which I doubt, since I havent seen any discussion about it.

Edited by Paranoid

ZoneAlarm 4.5...the 5.0 version is some sh!t but overall ZA is a good firewall which is very user-friendly.....

Cheers,

What makes you think they update the firewall on any more of a regular basis than anyone else does?

I think what you're seeing are AV updates on a regular basis. Very few use a Symantec firewall w/o it being part of a NIS/NPF security suite.

They had one recently - which they patched vis LU and which gave quite a lot of NIS2002 users hell http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/print.php/3353841

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar

FYI Zone Alarm is the Best and was rated by the best it says so on there site it was awarded far the most awards i have seen and there is nothing that is going to change me to use Kerio although that people in tis poll think otherwise but none the less thats their views

I'm still searching for a firewall.

I used Norton Internet Security 2002 for awhile. Then ZoneAlarm and now Agnitum Outpost Firewall.

Agnitum Outpost Firewall may be a good firewall, but I would never recommend this firewall to a pc user, who knows nothing about the internet.

Too technical in my opinion especially when you want something that is not included in the standard configuration.

No wonder, that this firewall has a very busy forum http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/ to assist users. When you visit this forum and read a few posts you get a pretty good idea how technical this firewall can be.

I use McAfee's V7.0 personal firewall. It seems to do the job and the updates are automatic and frequent. I also run behind a LinkSyS BERS41 Nat router!!

Firewalls are only as good as you allow them to be if they are "rules based'' and only as good in general to their own limitations if "application based." Both are good according to your needs and experience level. But, just because any software program claims that they are the "highest rated" on their own site is NOT the reason to choose them.

dueling.gif

:bounce: I have had a pb with Zone Alarm Free (50.590.043) and XP : my system was hanging periodically ! (hungapp module error in events viewer).

So I decide not to use this Firewall for a few days, and search for a stable firewall under XP. Before I considered Zonealarm as a great firewall but I changed my mind and plan to try Kerio 2.15 (ICF is too basic).

Have you ever heard about pb of this kind winth ZoneAlarm?

Thanks a lotl

I'm using the free version of ZoneAlarm, and it's working fine for me. I'm considering whether to upgrade to the pro.

Zac

Kerio has saved my bacon more than once by first asking whether a new application can be executed, or whether an application can launch another. More than one trojan, that penetrated IE's many vulnerabilities, has been nipped in the bud (prevented from fully installing) by my Kerio firewall. I do not know whether ZA has this function.

I do not know whether ZA has this function.

Hi Melloenhead,

Yes, ZA does have those alert features, and I'm glad it does. Nothing gets by, whether incoming or outgoing. :alarm:

Zac

I'm still searching for a firewall.

I used Norton Internet Security 2002 for awhile. Then ZoneAlarm and now Agnitum Outpost Firewall.

Agnitum Outpost Firewall may be a good firewall, but I would never recommend this firewall to a pc user, who knows nothing about the internet.

Too technical in my opinion especially when you want something that is not included in the standard configuration.

No wonder, that this firewall has a very busy forum http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/ to assist users. When you visit this forum and read a few posts you get a pretty good idea how technical this firewall can be.

I agree , Outpost is definitely not a newbies firewall.

But if someone wants to learn how to use it , the forum is the best place to start and help is never far away , I think its great that its so customisable.

Most people will be better off using something simple like a Zone Alarm or Norton type firewall though with many pre-configured settings , until they understand a bit more about TCP/IP and can set their own rules.

Once someone is ready and able to use a rules based firewall like Sygate , Kerio or Outpost they can customise things to their own preference a lot more , and decide how they want to increase their protection instead of largely depending on the firewalls designers to decide for them.

The bottom line is though any firewall protection is still better than none at all , people should use what they feel comfortable with. :cool::D

Edited by Moore

Hardware Firewall for me, IPCop 0.1.1 at present new 0.1.3 build in process but for Software firewall I usually send peeps after Mcafee's latest offering as I have seen this withstand a 2 day attack on a customer PC (it lost but only due to malware/spyware installed before the firewall went on).

Never heard of Kerio, just downloaded and going to have a look at it. (2.1.5).

A great firewall that I use is Norton Personal Firewall ... it is great! Simple as 123 to configure and very secure.

I like Kerio 2.15 the best out of the free firewalls because it is highly configurable.

I'm using mcaffee firewall at the moment since AOL decided to give it away for free. It is also very good and does well on the firewall tests available, it's a bit slow though.

Edited by Acsell

I googled on sygate loopback problem + norton internet security, and after going through the first 4 pages or so of hits, all of them identify this as a Sygate problem; nothing to do with NIS?????

AFAIK, this is only a Sygate problem if using proxy web filters such as Proxomitron, both of which I use on XP.

Not a NIS problem and not a problem w/ Sygate either if not using proxy config.

Regards - Charles

I really like Sygate.

But only for now, becuz my router isn't avaiable at this computer. (so i'm using a adsl-modem right now)

I like Kerio 2.15 the best out of the free firewalls because it is highly configurable.

Kind of sums it up for me, was a die hard ZA user & only recently switched.

Won't go back now for anything. :thumbsup:

I have heard/read more positive results

about ZoneAlarm, but I use a combination

of other anti-malware tools, (capable of

performing basically the same tasks) that work

fine for me.

I have used Norton--o.k.

and

Sygate-- didn't like too much.

Would Kerio provide, if it were to be configured, more security than an "out-of-the-box" Zonealarm?

Also, has anyone heard of a firewall called BlackIce?

I'm using the firewall on my router. It has everything a good firewall should. But for added paranoia prevention, I'm trying out this kerio firewall.

Now i have a problem, and my curiosity is in overload :scratchhead:

I already stated and in fact am pleased pink with Kerio but now ZA is released another version with bug fixes i presume, so i temporarily on one of my machines removed kerio to try this newer ZA.

The problem i have is this, with Zone Alarm you can incorporate (include), 2 other programs that compliment ZA by their reading of the ZA Logs and displaying additional Information as well as doing simple lookups, backtraces etc. I always did like the extra attention and security they offer. ZONELOG ANALYZER & VISUAL ZONE!

As far as i know both Sygate and Kerio have no other programs like these to compliment them. :!:

As far as i know both Sygate and Kerio have no other programs like these to compliment them.  :!:

Sygate's log is a whole lot easier to read than ZA's and it does have backtrace. It also has a Packet log, security log for scans - changed programs - break in attempts, and a System log. This is the free version.

I use both - ZAP and Sygate - and even with Visual Zone helping ZA, Sygate's logs are better, more info and better organized.

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar

I use OutPost Pro and like it very much. I would not swap to another FireWall. But the best thing a person can do if you are looking for a FireWall, is to trial them before you buy one and find what works best for your system and set up. My First FireWall to use was ZA free and it worked for me till I learned more about FireWalls and went to OutPost. :wave:

Been using Kerio Personal Firewall 2.15 for a couple months now and I haven't run into any trouble yet. I previously tried ZoneAlarm and it didn't give me the control I wanted in a firewall.

A great firewall that I use is Norton Personal Firewall ... it is great! Simple as 123 to configure and very secure.

My two cents on Norton's Firewall--I hate it. I purchased it as part of their Internet Security Suite and have had several breakdowns (of both my computer and my nervous system) using it. They have absolutely no support and it's impossible to uninstall unless you go through some big hoops.

So that's why I'm looking over these posts because I'm determined never to use another Norton program!

Sounds like Kerio is the general fave.

Yeah, it is. ZA slows down my Internet too much, other than that, it's the best. It's the one recommended by SBC Yahoo!. I recommend kerio 2.1.5 . You can get it from my signature below.