4 replies to this topic

#1 doofynz

doofynz

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:08 PM

hey folks

I finally signed to the new forums

I was just wondering what you guys thought of etrust and Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal

I am thinking of ditching Norton. Those two seem pretty good to me

I just want the pros and cons of the two.

and of course what you think of each of them

and also if you have a person favourite anti virus scanner why is that good

thanks if you can help me out

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:35 PM

Personally, I like AVG. Free, free updates, and it uses very little resources.

There's a link to it in my signature.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:18 PM

Nod32 is the best antivirus available. Light on resources, scans hard drives over the LAN and it's database is one of the best of any AV program (probably the best). http://www.nod32.com/

I didn't like KAV's interface and eTrust wouldn't install when I tried to install it, but they are both very good at what they do.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#4 doofynz

doofynz

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 11:56 PM

yeah virusbulletin gave nod32 gave it one if special logo saying it is good

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

I got told about this special deal about etrust that you can get it for free as a microsoft customer.

any one know any more about it and if is there any catch

#5 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:21 AM

There's isn't any catch.

I personally would go for KAV if you have a new machine.

KAV

pros - Very comprehensive signature database , covers all type of malware (zoo and in the wild) , excellent trojan detection. Top notch unpacker

cons - Somewhat resource intensive, slow scanning

NOD

Pro- The best with regards to in the wild viruses and worms. Excellent heuristics to detect worms. Fast, light footprint

con - poor trojan detection. poor detection of zoo viruses. Unimpressive unpacker engine.

NOD is top notch if you are worried about in the wild viruses and worm , normally spread by email. These are the type of malware that tends to spread and make media news . Most newbies will benefit a lot from it because these are the ones targetted at them because of their inexperience and the ones they will be likely to encounter.

I personally would use KAV myself rather than NOD. Like most antiviruses, KAV provides excellent coverage of in the wild worms (NOD is a shade better), in additon, there is excellent coverage of trojans and zoo viruses that are as dangerous but are less likely to be encountered.

I'm not too worried about in the wild worms like netsky and the like because those can be avoided easily if you are careful, but it's much harder to avoid trojans etc espically if you download a lot of freeware/shareware or do a lot of p2p. For detection of those kinds of malware, NOD is IMHO not sufficient to protect you.

That said, both are excellent depending on what you want to focus on.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button