Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur (One Shoe) Lee

Arthur (One Shoe) Lee

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:15 AM

Not too serious but I’ve invested in a new PC (Compaq Presario) Pentium 4 that came with Windows XP Home Edition installed. Having suffered the pitfalls of Windows ME for 2 years, it’s a refreshing change!

Anyway, I reinstalled all the software and stuff from my previous PC and it’s working fine. The only problem is, for some reason, from time to time, any website shortcuts I have on my desktop lose their adopted icons and just leave the icons as the blue explorer.

Also, when booting up, it takes a while for all my desktop icons to populate rather than immediately displaying. I’ve run a virus scan, Spybot, Ad-aware and I’ve defragmented my hard drive.

Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:24 AM

You could perhaps try TweakUI for XP and use the Repair --> Rebuild Icons function. It may or may not help in this particular case, but will certainly do no harm either. :)

EDIT - Oh, and something else - the web page shortcuts will lose their icons if you clear IE cache, and will get them back when you view these pages online again. The only way to keep the web page specific icons is to locate the icons themselves in Temporary Internet Files, save them someplace else and associate the shortcuts with them.

Best,
R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido, 01 June 2004 - 04:36 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

#3 Arthur (One Shoe) Lee

Arthur (One Shoe) Lee

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:53 AM

You could perhaps try TweakUI for XP and use the Repair --> Rebuild Icons function. It may or may not help in this particular case, but will certainly do no harm either. :)

EDIT - Oh, and something else - the web page shortcuts will lose their icons if you clear IE cache, and will get them back when you view these pages online again. The only way to keep the web page specific icons is to locate the icons themselves in Temporary Internet Files, save them someplace else and associate the shortcuts with them.

Best,

Thanks Rosso. I’ve started to utilize one of those ‘ Clear All Your Internet Surfing Traces & Windows Thingy!’. :blush: It’s called ‘Cleanspace 8’ and it does clear out IE Cache, Temporary Internet Files, Recent URLs, documents and stuff. Maybe I’ll look tonight to see if I can modify the stuff it cleans out and maybe totally uncheck IE Cache. Cheers!

#4 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:06 AM

It’s called ‘Cleanspace 8’ and it does clear out IE Cache, Temporary Internet Files, Recent URLs, documents and stuff.

Haven't heard of this prog... :scratchhead: I'm using Cleanup! which does more or less the same thing. It's not a bad idea to clear IE cache, cookies & History now and then to free disk space and reduce browser troubles. :)

Now if you want your web page shortcuts to keep their own icons permanently, you can find the icons in the IE cache and save them to another convenient location (I've created a folder called Icons on my C: drive, where I place the icons I like using for the various shortcuts). Then you right-click on the shortcut, go to Properties --> Change Icon and locate the folder you've saved the icons to. Make sure you've selected "All files" in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the dialogue box. Then you'll see a list of all the icons you've saved and you can choose which one you want to associate with each shortcut.

I hope I haven't confused you so far... If you have any trouble saving images as icons (the extension should be .ico) you can use an image viewer like IrfanView which will convert them automatically for you. ;)

Best,
I am the iron anchor.

#5 Arthur (One Shoe) Lee

Arthur (One Shoe) Lee

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:35 AM

It’s called ‘Cleanspace 8’ and it does clear out IE Cache, Temporary Internet Files, Recent URLs, documents and stuff.

Haven't heard of this prog... :scratchhead: I'm using Cleanup! which does more or less the same thing. It's not a bad idea to clear IE cache, cookies & History now and then to free disk space and reduce browser troubles. :)

Now if you want your web page shortcuts to keep their own icons permanently, you can find the icons in the IE cache and save them to another convenient location (I've created a folder called Icons on my C: drive, where I place the icons I like using for the various shortcuts). Then you right-click on the shortcut, go to Properties --> Change Icon and locate the folder you've saved the icons to. Make sure you've selected "All files" in the dropdown menu at the bottom of the dialogue box. Then you'll see a list of all the icons you've saved and you can choose which one you want to associate with each shortcut.

I hope I haven't confused you so far... If you have any trouble saving images as icons (the extension should be .ico) you can use an image viewer like IrfanView which will convert them automatically for you. ;)

Best,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, after checking my system, I have discovered that my Internet Explorer homepage has been hijacked and no matter what I change the homepage to, within minutes (literally), it reverts to ‘about:blank’ that brings up a search website with annoying popups. I believe this is a CoolWebSearch kind of thing. I’m certain that this is slowing down my startup and my system!

I know that the about:blank hijack trojan/worm/virus is well documented on these forums so I’d best put a few hours aside, upgrade my CW Shredder, my Spybot, my Norton Antivirus, my Ad-aware and my SpywareBlaster then get down to some serious fighting!! I’ll do that when I get home from work tonight because, reading between the lines, I don’t think there’s a quick fix for this problem.

I hate hijackers. Hey ho!

#6 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:42 AM

If you want to keep you IE Icons ...there is a program called 'FavOrg' by PC Magizine....it is free & if a site has an Icon..it will grab it.

Here is some info on it: http://www.pcmag.com...,1558483,00.asp

Problem is finding a place to get it..the site I had bookmarked removed it....

Edited by lion7718, 02 June 2004 - 06:55 AM.

#7 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:48 PM

Arthur - why not post a HijackThis log in the appropriate forum so you can get proper help for the problem.

Download Hijack This!

Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

An expert will soon be around to take a look at your log. :)

Best,
I am the iron anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button