9 replies to this topic

#1 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:50 PM

Since I've tightened all the security on my PC a while ago I haven't been able to load www.excite.com. Today I decided to try to rectify that, but I'm still at a loss.

I noticed that it uses imgfarm so I removed that from my restricted sites to see if that would help. Then I disabled all protection from Spyware Blaster to see if THAT would help. But as of this point I still can't access that site. I used to have a couple email accounts through excite but I probably don't anymore since I haven't been able to access it in quite a while.

Any help would be appreciated!

#2 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:54 PM

Well..I can get there ok...have you looked in your Hosts File..?
or maybe PG has blocked the site in it's Lists...

#3 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:09 PM

It's not in my hosts file. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by PG. I can't access excite through any of my 3 browsers ... IE, Netscape and Firefox. So it must be something globally locked instead of browser dependent.

#4 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

Sorry...PG = PeerGuardian
You would be surprised how many users run this all the time instead of only when downloading.

#5 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:26 PM

I'm not using Peer Guardian so that isn't it either. I use Kerio but I can't see anyplace that shows it's blocking Excite. I also have Spyware Blaster running but I've checked and I don't see excite in the list of restricted sites from there either. And I did disable that once and still couldn't get excite to load. I've even uninstalled IESPYADS in case that is doing it, but I still can't access it. I've cleared my cache and rebooted the PC so nothing should be running in the background either once I've shut them down or uninstalled them. I'm really at a loss here where to look anymore ... I guess it's not a big deal to go without Excite since I don't do much with it anymore but I just hate not having the ability to go if I want to ... :)

#6 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:20 AM

Well, I was able to access and reactivate my excite email addresses by typing in mail.excite.com. That loaded. But the main excite page still will not load. It comes up with errors on the page no matter which browser I try. I guess, since I have my email addresses back I will be satisfied. Thanks for trying Lion. I'll just give up on the main page. :rolleyes:

Shellsworld

#7 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:14 PM

OK I lied! :blush2: I didn't give up. I did find out as soon as I turned off my Kerio firewall I could access Excite without any problems at all. But I can't find a rule in the ruleset that says anything about Excite. Any ideas? As soon as I start up the firewall again I can't access excite pages, including help.excite.com or their chat page either.

shellsworld

#8 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:49 PM

It might not say Excite..but in another Range...you need to find that IP & remove it....

Edited by lion7718, 02 January 2005 - 04:50 PM.

#9 shellsworld

shellsworld

Humble Malware Fighter

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:36 PM

Finally I found the answer at this site: http://www.geocities...sponge/faq.html Basically it says that a rule created to keep AORNUM (IWON, ORNUM ... adware) out also keeps Excite from loading. Once I disabled that rule everything works fine! Thank you for your help! :cool:

#10 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:22 PM

Glad you got it figured out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button