• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#51 Slag02

Slag02

20 and Married With Children

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:55 AM

Like Many others the First time to this site was from merjin and i got there from a google search... ever since then I had been coming back to look up fixes as need but never posted.. and then I registered and Posted my Log after i just could not get CWS to stay away... I wish i could sue the CWS people they make me so mad....
Well after that I decited to put my computer know how to help other people and learn a bit more while im at it

Thank you so much and Keep up the great work.. it is really appreciated.

and btw If i didnt have two kids and a wife and only one source of income... then i would definatly throw some cold hard cash toward SWI so pray that i win the lottery!

PEACE

#52 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:59 AM

SpywareWatch(U.K.)>Merijn.org>SpyWareInfo.

Reason>'coolsearch'
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#53 Guest_Guest_blacktuskphotography_*

Guest_Guest_blacktuskphotography_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:20 AM

I came from zerosrealm. I have used HJT for about one year. I applaud and encourage your efforts here. Outstanding and commendable undertaking!

#54 lzvx51

lzvx51

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

Through Google while researching "search200" problems.

#55 Hydroponic Garden

Hydroponic Garden

Ascension

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:49 PM

... I found myself up late one night during a relentless session of insomnia, started looking for info about spyware and ran into this site. I decided to join because the topic in general is interesting, and always changes.

-Hydroponic Garden
Incens'd with indignation He stood Unterrified, and like a comet burn'd, That fires the length of Ophiucus huge In th' artic sky, and from his horrid hair Shakes pestilence and war.

#56 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:27 AM

Found via google, whilst looking for ways to help a friend with a large bout of mostly Kazaa acquired spyware. SWI was consistently one of the most useful and helpful sites, rich in resources. Plus, looking at other people's HJT logs also proved to be quite informative.

Great site!

#57 Sodapop

Sodapop

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 05:18 PM

Entered "spyware" in Yahoo search. :D

#58 Jackie

Jackie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:10 AM

About 3 years ago when I got my computer and went online. Was infected with spyware and found this place through Lavasoft. From then on I visited this room on a regular basis and learned, by reading a lot, how to secure my computer. Thanks to all of you I've never ever had a problem with spy/adware since. :)
A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future and accepts you today the way you are.

#59 mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Spyware Sucks

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:20 AM

PC Pitstop, Jacee told me about it :)
Spyware Aid - A guide and more to spyware

Proud member of ASAP since 2004

Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead :)
Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!

HijackThis! | Recommended Software | Help Wanted
| Search the Forums|Forum Guidelines
Faster, safer, better, free -> Posted Image Now 1.0 Final!

If you'd like to donate to the fight against spyware...
Donate to SpywareInfo

#60 Guest_Guest_Deborah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Deborah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

[SIZE=1][quote name='cnm' date='Jun 1 2004, 09:26 AM']
I was having problems with my computer and was on Microsft web site. No one could help me and one of them suggested your web site. My problem was resolved within a day.
You guys are terrific and I have gotten a lot of good info reading the posts. I have recommended your site to others.
Keep up the good work.

#61 Guest_Guest_Deborah_*_*

Guest_Guest_Deborah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:20 PM

[SIZE=1][quote name='cnm' date='Jun 1 2004, 09:26 AM']
I was having problems with my computer and was on Microsft web site. No one could help me and one of them suggested your web site. My problem was resolved within a day.
You guys are terrific and I have gotten a lot of good info reading the posts. I have recommended your site to others.
Keep up the good work.

#62 jandm

jandm

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

I heard about it through a friend and then looked it up through google.

#63 delboy

delboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

Found this fantastic site via Google

Kind Regards to you all,

Delboy
:D

#64 moghrabi

moghrabi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:19 AM

Calendar of Updates

#65 dog_soldier

dog_soldier

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:35 AM

found out about swi from H@nes when i ask him where to go to learn to read the hjt logs.

Thanks H@nes

#66 sun

sun

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:53 PM

I heard from my trusty computer tech who was tired of seeing me with repetetive problems.
He told me that reference books were good but that they did not cover ALL topics, and he was so right!!!!
Spyware and all I had been doing was research for my work, how could that be?
He gave me the URL for this site and told me to browse it and I haven't seen him for a very long long time and I have not had the withdrawals of losing my computer due to malaise and been able to do my work without too much apprehension of spyware.
But I also visit other sites as well, however in closing I must say that I am very pleased to see everything back on line.
Congratulations to the tenacity of administration to get through the storm!!!!!!!

#67 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:36 PM

I believe I found it on Google when search a specific problem.

----
Click to visit Kallen Web Design

#68 redhawk

redhawk

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:00 PM

My friend told me about it cause my comp was evil...

#69 bowwow

bowwow

Remove the fly, I mean spy!

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:28 PM

I learnt of this site through Google Search.

#70 kkj

kkj

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:12 PM

Had several hundred cookies, searched the net to find out if I should remove them, found cookie central, followed thread on news page, found article where someone from Spywareinfo.com had given a statement, there was a link, clicked on this link. Ps. Don't know if appropriate forum, but only mention that your online scan advised me to remove backweb which updates my antivirus programme F-secure...

#71 hiddenamon

hiddenamon

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:45 PM

Good Day everyone :D I found you're web while looking at various links from http://www.cexx.org/ which I found from other excellent resources like Spybot S&D, DoxDesk, and Wilder Security among others. I am a computer tech and lately most of my time is spent on cleaning up all of the computers I've built for people over the last few years. It's amazing to me because I always harden the OS and give them the best protection possible (without closing the internet ^_^ ). I hate to say it but about half of this crap gets installed because people don't take the time to read the EULA (understandable with the length of some of them) or install it just because itís free (Iím guilty). I tell all of my clients to be aware of anything that claims to be free. There are some excellent free resources on the internet, but for every good free resource there are thousands of bad ones. Thanks to people that run boards like this my job is a whole lot easier. You guys are all appreciated. I will add my experiences when I can. :cool:

#72 jabm67

jabm67

Clueless rube #40906

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

I got hit with a browser hijacker a couple days ago (I think it's CWS but I am not yet positive), and googled about such things. Found this place with some good info.

This isn't my first wrangle with spyware; a couple years ago I was stunned to find TSAdbot and DSSAgent on one of my machines, having come in on kids' games I bought in a mall. I studied up on it then, so I wasn't caught completely unaware. I've learned to keep a sharp eye on my Process Viewer, HKLM/.../Run, and other places in the registry.

My first attempts at removal seem not to have been entirely successful, but I read a couple of things I didn't do before (like run the cleaning tools while in Safe Mode) and will have another attack at it.

Failing that, I'll just run Firefox from now on, and try to explain to wife & kids to be sure to do that.

#73 roydf

roydf

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:40 PM

I learned about this site from a link at Merijn.org

#74 bossjock

bossjock

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Visited the site often having got the addy from Merijn and have used it often for clues for geting rid of our old 'friend' Aboutblank. Contracted it again, and again had loads of great advice from within the pages of 'Spywareinfo' so decided to enrol.

Thanks to all and keep up the great advice

#75 Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael

The man of too many hats.

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

For me personally, I've always been good with computers and ended up having to clean up after malicious programs a few times back when they were just starting to become more common. After dealing with a couple browser hijackers and some really stubborn things to which I don't remember the name (they were of the kind that used a pair of registry entries to replace themselves when you deleted them :mad: , though they didn't use random file names yet if I remember correctly) I finally got annoyed enough about having to clean up so often with an occasional system wipe and starting from scratch :blink: that I went looking on the net for preventive measures. I first found Adaware and from there found my way here while researching some recent baddies. :D
"May knowledge and enlightenment reach you in kind and may your sword be wet only with the blood of the mind."
-Me

#76 Darkwarrior

Darkwarrior

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:49 AM

First heard about the website while online searching for info on malware and cleaning a friends computer.
Does anyone research these programs ie (cws,180 solutions and such)? :)
The reason for asking is because I plan on downloading and examining the code for better solutions and also because i am getting tired of removing this garbage from various peoples computers, thanks and also thanks for the site.

#77 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:16 AM

Darkwarrior - Welcome at SWI !!!
All the recommended protection softwares by SWI are mentioned at this link :
http://www.spywarein...m/downloads.php
So this is an excellent guide to choose and install freeware and/or commercial protection softwares.
Most commercial protection softwares can be replaced by freewares. So don't buy too quickly.

Keep in mind that there are alot of rogue/suspected softwares on the internet and all of them need to be purchased. So watch out.
You can find these rogue softwares at these links :
http://www.spywarewa...nti-spyware.htm
http://www.spyware-r...gue-spyware.php

Most protection softwares are often discussed here, but you have to be a regular visitor at SWI to follow and participate in these discussions and you also can read the older posts of course.

If you have any questions, put your post in an approperiate subforum and qualified helpers and other members will reply :)

Edited by ErikAlbert, 21 February 2005 - 06:29 AM.

ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#78 caporal

caporal

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 12:10 PM

Hi, all.

I found SWI forum while I was surfing the Net in order to get rid of some hellish worms. This was completely by chance! :gasp: At that time I was very worried because my browser was hijacked and the system had a trojan infection. Now, I'm trying to learn and maybe some day I will help others.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by caporal, 21 February 2005 - 12:11 PM.

#79 catweazle

catweazle

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:58 PM

Simple really, followed a mention/Link? from Spyware warrior via mention from Bleeping computer.

#80 Daxadoo

Daxadoo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

I saw several references to this site while I was at Google Newsgroups trying to figure out what is slowing my computer down. I was looking at the newsgroups to see what sssvr.exe, qqtask.exe, alunotify.exe, and a few more... I found a few answers but a whole bunch more questions... Thank you.

#81 WMain

WMain

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:45 PM

Hello all.

Coolweb and a hidden dll file brought me here . In the past I've been able to get most things off peoples systems but to no avail with that piece of crap, usually ending up telling them to cut their losses and reinstall. When my son called me and said he was having problems I decided it wasn't going to beat me.

I did a Google search for 'coolweb removal' and this is where I ended up. I knew I had to be careful about some sites and free proggies that say they help you so when I got here I spent the better part of four evenings reading and decided this was the place to be.

So,,,after a week of evening phone conversations with my son and with SWI and related links up on my screen we got his machine running fine. Kudos to SWI and it's related links

:rant: If I may be so bold, I'd like to relate my attitude towards writers of these infections. When caught they should be prosecuted, run through a gauntlet of people who've tried to get their garbage off their systems, then jailed. In that order.

I am also a big advocate of client security and privacy. Everybody has their favorites but the combination programs I use has been good to me. The three machines we have in our house have been running flawlessly for quite some time. (knock on wood)

Regarding my son, you'd think he'd be more careful knowing the way I am :rolleyes: , go figure. When their not living at home and on their own, what can you do.

Thanks everyone.

~W

#82 billybob gates

billybob gates

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:29 PM

my ex gf's computer had an unwanted toolbar on IE called "Quigno" so i googled it and found out it was spyware, then i googled "spyware" and found out what that was. WTF, never knew about all this before and found this forum. still finding my feet with all this stuff.

#83 Znow

Znow

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:45 AM

I am a member of deviantart:com,so when my problems started I posted in the forum for help..and one of the other members told me about Hijackthis and this forum..... :D

#84 Lekonua

Lekonua

Robot Overlord

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hmm...let me think...
Got it!
My computer was infected with the CWS and I did a Google search for how to get rid of it. I found this site with much helpful information but it was about a month beofre I decided to make an account here,.

Edited by Lekonua, 23 May 2005 - 11:33 AM.

#85 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

Hi

Got it off Google, searching for "spyware removal".

A great site, with dedicated volunteers.

I joined the old forum and was member somewhere around 300; when I rejoined (couldn't find any trace of my old membership), the membership was well over 2000!

I find it hard to believe the dedication of you guys 'n gals!

Thanks

#86 regnew

regnew

Malware Shall Die In My Wrath

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

Well, I found out about SpywareInfo on the radio! On some AM station in L.A. California, there is a guy that comes on called the 'Tech Guy' and he has callers and tells the callers how to fix their computer problems. So, one guy had pop-ups and all these problems that he couldn't get rid of, that were the same as the ones I was facing. So, he recommended SpywareInfo.com and said that they have a program called HijackThis that can manually delete problems in the computer. He also said someone there will help you out if you post your log here. So, Thats how I found out.

Edited by regnew, 04 July 2005 - 02:13 PM.

The IQ test of malware came back negative.

#87 DeeEss

DeeEss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

At download.com while searching for pop-up blockers and anti-spyware. ^_^
"Gort! Klaatu.. barada.. nikto!"

#88 J u s t i n

J u s t i n

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:11 AM

whilst over at http://tankweb.net, i started to anylyze a few logs in my attempts to get better, Tank referred me here to the boot camp thread, now you all are stuck with me too :p

Edited by J u s t i n, 13 July 2005 - 06:11 AM.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Justin</span>

#89 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

I found SWI when I was infected with CWS_NS3 the worst problem I have ever had. I reformated to get rid of it. But I have been helped here with other things ever since Iv found this place on google.

#90 1st_evil

1st_evil

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

I found SWI when I was infected with CWS_NS3 the worst problem I have ever had. I reformated to get rid of it. But I have been helped here with other things ever since Iv found this place on google.

View Post

THe above was me.

#91 Toscane

Toscane

Malware warrior

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:22 PM

You can get copies of these files from Merijn's page

When I advised the above text to a TS on my homeforum I returned to this site.
When I registered (in april) I had to choose between TC and SWI for classroomatmittance. I am sorry, choose TC then. :huh:

Now as a Slyware junior I returned and hope to continuing learning here :)

Edited by Toscane, 18 July 2005 - 02:26 PM.

#92 mdkeplers

mdkeplers

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 08:45 AM

A moderator at on another site recommends this site regularly but I never visited. I am a bit apprehensive about anything "new" or at least new to me. Then a techie at my cable internet provider suggested it after I had some problems.

#93 Lekonua

Lekonua

Robot Overlord

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

My computer was infected with the CoolWebSearch and I found this on Google while searching for a solution.

Yay Google!

:gah:

#94 iserd

iserd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

just a note to thank you for your help
i had Adware NaviPromo / MSClock32 which McAfee, Spybot, Adaware and Spydoctor all failed to get rid of.
I had used Hijack This as suggested by a previous user of your site (found via google) and followed your advice in FAQ to delete anything unfamiliar to me and so far, so good
thanks heaps :D
iserd

#95 vini-v

vini-v

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:26 PM

Surfing google came across the site buzz1927 helped me remove so adware and what a relief, thanks so much for the help things are getting ruthless out there just glad theres somewhere to get support for these situations it is very VERY much appreciated .

Posted Image

#96 tiamarie223

tiamarie223

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 09:38 AM

I had a horrible infection that kept coming back and got help from another site to remove it. (malwarebytes.biz/forums) It took us two weeks to get it off my computer because, lucky me :D , it was a new strain. After going through all that I decided I wanted to help other people. I've successfully helped a few people clean their computers, but I'd like to learn more.
I stumbled across this site while playing around (from google) and saw the boot camp. I've looked around a little and it looks like a great place.
Hopefully I can learn a lot.
Tia

#97 pacman123

pacman123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

Iv'e seen this site mentioned at the pit but came over from a link at TeMerc's site....

Glad i came over hope to join boot camp when i have the time to devote to it....

Edited by pacman123, 28 September 2005 - 02:30 PM.

#98 DynamiteN

DynamiteN

Alexander The Great

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:02 PM

I had problem with my pc and one friend tell me about GeeksToGo
The problem was resolved there.
I start to search other similar sites
and i find SpywareInfo.
How i am very happy that i am Helper Trainee at SpywareInfo

Edited by DynamiteN, 14 October 2005 - 12:41 PM.

Favorite tools: *Mozilla Firefox* *Spybot-S&D* *AdAware* *HijackThis*
*Kerio Personal Firewall* *Panda ActiveScan* *SpywareBlaster* *AVG*
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Hello, Visitor!
Please do not PM/email me for support as i will just ignore it.If you want help post on the forums instead.

Please post the final results, good or bad. We like to know!
If I have helped you, please consider IPB Image for SpywareInfo
IPB Image

#99 Rosty

Rosty

Forum Deity

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

I heard about this site by Beamerke!!He 's also actif on a forum in belgium where he does the hijackthisforum.

#100 nielsvds

nielsvds

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

By searching the internet to receive more info and also of an article in a Dutch pc magazine for the hijackthis training section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button